Brady Bill Questions

bulldawg042

I've been hearing a lot about the Brady Bill coming back after Bush leaves office. What will be affected by this? I know that round capacity for mags/clips will be limited to 10 rounds and that certain grips on an AR-15 will be affected, but what else? If I were to buy a gun like the AR-15 now, could I buy more high capacity mags after the bill (doubt but can't hurt to ask)?

I believe your referring to the AWB (assault weapons ban). The Brady Bill is still in effect. It is the background check legislation.

As for the AWB. It is ineffective legislation as it had no effect on crime rates but the emotive thinkers like it because assault weapon sounds scary. If given the opportunity the anti-gun crowd (typically but not always Dems) would have it back in a New York second. (Pun intended):p

As for the high cap mags, I doubt anyone will be legally allowed to sell them. Buying before may not help either. Possession was illegal, still is in areas.

Vote for Hillary or Obama and ignore your Congressional races and it'll be back by the end of '09.

*No dig intended for the Democrats that aren't anti-gun. Merely a tendency being pointed out.

Carolyn McCarthy's put forward some rather pathetic attempts at revamping and reviving the old Assault Weapon Ban, under HR 1022. It's largely been unsuccessful so far, but it's also pulled a lot of (Democrat) co-sponsors. I doubt it'll pass in its current form (ban nearly all handguns and the mini14?), but it might if the right palms are greased.

You can read the text with a simple google search, but the gist is pretty simple. All the lovely old stuff from the old AWB, such as bans on manufacture named guns, no new "high capacity magazines", that sorta stuff. The list is much longer, though, and the "too scary-looking" definition is even more minimal.

The list of weapons that would be banned are as follows :
`(i) AK, AKM, AKS, AK-47, AK-74, ARM, MAK90, Misr, NHM 90, NHM 91, SA 85, SA 93, VEPR;

`(ii) AR-10;

`(iii) AR-15, Bushmaster XM15, Armalite M15, or Olympic Arms PCR;

`(iv) AR70;

`(v) Calico Liberty;

`(vi) Dragunov SVD Sniper Rifle or Dragunov SVU;

`(vii) Fabrique National FN/FAL, FN/LAR, or FNC;

`(viii) Hi-Point Carbine;

`(ix) HK-91, HK-93, HK-94, or HK-PSG-1;

`(x) Kel-Tec Sub Rifle;

`(xi) M1 Carbine;

`(xii) Saiga;

`(xiii) SAR-8, SAR-4800;

`(xiv) SKS with detachable magazine;

`(xv) SLG 95;

`(xvi) SLR 95 or 96;

`(xvii) Steyr AUG;

`(xviii) Sturm, Ruger Mini-14;

`(xix) Tavor;

`(xx) Thompson 1927, Thompson M1, or Thompson 1927 Commando; or

`(xxi) Uzi, Galil and Uzi Sporter, Galil Sporter, or Galil Sniper Rifle (Galatz).

`(B) The following pistols or copies or duplicates thereof:

`(i) Calico M-110;

`(ii) MAC-10, MAC-11, or MPA3;

`(iii) Olympic Arms OA;

`(iv) TEC-9, TEC-DC9, TEC-22 Scorpion, or AB-10; or

`(v) Uzi.

`(C) The following shotguns or copies or duplicates thereof:

`(i) Armscor 30 BG;

`(ii) SPAS 12 or LAW 12;

`(iii) Striker 12; or

`(iv) Streetsweeper.

Fixed magazines for pistols and for rifles (other than tubular .22rimfire) capable of accepting more than 10 rounds would be likewise illegal to manufacture. Likewise for any shotgun with a revolving cylinder. Of course, conversion kits for the same would be banned.

The scary lists continue. Likewise banned from new manufacture :

A semiautomatic rifle that has an ability to accept a detachable magazine, and that has--

`(i) a folding or telescoping stock;

`(ii) a threaded barrel;

`(iii) a pistol grip;

`(iv) a forward grip; or

`(v) a barrel shroud.

(F) A semiautomatic pistol that has the ability to accept a detachable magazine, and has--

`(i) a second pistol grip;

`(ii) a threaded barrel;

`(iii) a barrel shroud; or

`(iv) the capacity to accept a detachable magazine at a location outside of the pistol grip.

`(H) A semiautomatic shotgun that has--

`(i) a folding or telescoping stock;

`(ii) a pistol grip;

`(iii) the ability to accept a detachable magazine; or

`(iv) a fixed magazine capacity of more than 5 rounds.

That's right -- the Walther p22 would continue to be one ****ty Assault Weapon, and not just in Kalifornia.

The really ugly limitation is after that, where

A semiautomatic rifle or shotgun originally designed for military or law enforcement use, or a firearm based on the design of such a firearm, that is not particularly suitable for sporting purposes, as determined by the Attorney General. In making the determination, there shall be a rebuttable presumption that a firearm procured for use by the United States military or any Federal law enforcement agency is not particularly suitable for sporting purposes, and a firearm shall not be determined to be particularly suitable for sporting purposes solely because the firearm is suitable for use in a sporting event.'.

I can think of a good many centerfire and rimfire guns that were used by the military and federal law enforcement at one point or the other.

During the old AWB, it was legal to privately sell and own high capacity magazines and older guns. I can't figure out what changes this version does to the grandfather clause from that law, so I dunno if it'd be legal if hr1022 passes.

As always, IANAL.

I notice the poor little M1 Carbine is on there, too.

They really made a fool of her on the news, though, when they asked her what a barrel shroud was. She said "It's the shoulder thing that goes up."

The Garand? Oh, they will.

Semi-automatic, can fire AP rounds? As soon as someone in the panic-attack hoplophobe groups hears about someone shooting through an engine block with the old blacktip stuff, it'll be a TERRORIST WEAPON THAT CAN SHOOT DOWN PLANES OMG!!!!!1111one :rolleyes:

Thus far everyone running in my state checks out as being against another AWB. Problem is the other states aren't so well aligned. I hope the DC gun case goes through and the SC establishes 'SHALL NOT BE INFRINGED" as being absolute, iron clad, and touch-it-and-you're-gone. I am sick of having to wonder.

Back