Braced Pistol: Silencer or Not?

Swifty Morgan

Pistol braces are legal for the moment. So are silencers, for many people.

Question: if you have an LBP (long-barreled pistol) with a brace for home defense, and it will receive a silencer, what would you prefer:

1. earmuffs and no big, long silencer to keep maneuverability, or
2. earmuffs and silencer to maximize ear protection?

Only a few

You don't mention what caliber you have in mind.
I have seen rimfire .22 suppressors touted as being safe W/O ear protection. I might choose to fire a suppressed .22 pistol W/O ear protection, that's about it.
You might consider good plugs vs. muffs, I wear plugs for shooting trap, the muffs bang up my pretty wood and we can't have that.

What cartridge?

How long is your barrel?

I have been fortunate to have a friend who has an propper sbr and a silencerco omega 300. He has 2 uppers an 11.5in and a 7in.

The 7in with the can is much more maneuverable than the 11.5.

Never shot it indoors. Outdoors, i can shoot both uppers and it does not cause any pain or ringing. Got to shoot ot next to a guy shooting subsonic 22s the other day. It was a fair bit louder. Its pretty close, imho, to a supersonic 22 or high velocity 22.

If i had the choice, for defensive use indoors, id perfer to have a suppressor and good electronic ear muffs.

Im hoping to do a sbr and a suppressor next year, Lord willing and the creek dont rise. Thinking 300 blackout, 8in.

Back