BP revolver + hunting?

Eightball

Just out of curiosity--if I wanted to hunt during the black powder season with my .36 remington, would I need to know/do anything special, or would it just be a bizarre handgunner in the woods?

36 is to small to hunt deer or even turkey
has to be a 45 or bigger but you can finish
one off after you shoot it with your rifle

Be careful

In most states, I believe it's muzzle loading season, not "black powder" season. Cap and ball pistols are NOT muzzle loaders and are NOT legal.

In most states, I believe it's muzzle loading season, not "black powder" season. Cap and ball pistols are NOT muzzle loaders and are NOT legal.
:eek: Well, that's why I asked...is because I don't know things like this :o . Are there any other restrictions/laws/prohibitions (either legally, or via common sense) that I should know about? Thanks for the replies.

And, what about squirrel hunting with a .36, since it's too small for deer?

You'll have to consult the regulations that pertain to the state in which you hunt. Where I hunt, you can use a cap & ball revolver during the regular firearms deer season if it is at least .44 cal and barrel is at least 7". But you can't use such a revolver during muzzleloader season, because it doesn't have a solid threaded breech plug. You can buy single-shot muzzleloading pistols with a breech plug, however.

My point is that regulations such as this are very state-specific. Pick up a copy of hunting regulations where you'd buy your license, or go to your state's department of natural resources website to find a PDF copy of the regs. Once in the PDF, search on "muzzleload", "blackpowder", or some such word/phrase.

Back