bp pistol using sabot's

ironchef2000

Inactive
muzzle loading rifle sabots are popular but are people using them in pistol calibers and revolver's.
I dont know how practicle it is but there might be some useful quality's.
like reduced recoil,possible increased accuracy and lighter powder load's with simular velocity.
Let me know if im crazy/stupid or naive

Not a good idea to me. Plastic in a muzzleloader rifle is something I would not do anyway. But pretty safe to do in place of a patched ball in a single shot. But puttin a sabot in a revolving BP cylinder only to have both blown thru a forcing cone and the next round firing with out clearing the bore...really doesn't make sense to me. 2 1/2" groups @ 25yards and Steel Ram Silouettes @ 100yards with a 19th century replica is good enough for me. But to each their own I guess.

(Don't Do It)

IMO, I get good accruacy with a regular .454 round ball and I'm not worried about recoil. I've shot some small handguns, (modern revolvers), with pretty good recoil, I'm talking about .357 magnum with a 2in barrel and 44spec. in a 2 in barrel and the recoil from full power loads in the 44 cal 1858 Remington is much more pleasant. It's more of a push than a slap, and like SG posted I can get good groups at 25 yards and that makes me happy. I'd stay away from sabots in a pistol, but that's just me.

Back