boyds stocks?

axis223

anyone running boyds stocks on here? I'm interested in one for a savage axis HB. not a fan of the look of the pro varmint. rifle will be using for woodchuck, coyote hunting and occasional bench shooting.

what stock style would you recommend and if you have pics please post them.

The prairie hunter is what I went with on a savage in pepper laminate... Boyds website sucks for comparing the different stock designs.

They are a good value for the money and look ok. I put a classic on my 93 Mauser, even though I don't like the lines of their stocks in the grip area. There are not many other choices for a real wood stock for not very much money.

Thanks guys. I'm torn between prairie hunter and classic. I don't think I would care for the thumbhole for hunting situations if a off hand shot would be needed.

Thanks guys. I'm torn between prairie hunter and classic

If you have a cartridge that recoils less than 308/30-06, then Classic. Prairie has an elevated cheek piece that will move recoil from your face. Of all the 7mm Mags I've owned, the Weatherby recoiled the least because of that feature.

I have two.

One is the Varmint Thumbhole which I like

the other is the lightweight thumbhole which was my first and confirmed I like that setup.

I don't get the thumb hole is any less

I have been getting 5/8 MOA and under fairly regularly with both stocks.

Well made, good bottom contour that needs no bedding (at lest for 1/2 MOA area)

I have 2, as a matter of fact, Boyds used my Tikka t3 lite as a pattern when they did the first one and since I let them use my rifle I got a free stock, rifle shoots excellent, featherweight thumbhole. Also have a thumbhole on my ruger 77 hawkeye.. No complaints, they both dropped right in and shot great. I tried to post a picture but my pictures are to large and I have no idea how to shrink em..

I mounted my Savage F93 22 Mag heavy barrel target into a Boyds Thumbhole with a Nikon 3x9 Rimfire BDC
IMG_2051_zpsqa9dpbwn.jpg

I like the thumbhole but they are not for everyone.I use mine mostly for targets

I have two Boyd's stocks also. Both the thumbhole variety. Both are excellent. Neither required any bedding, as the fit was perfect, as is. Barrels free float, just as they should.

One is a Lightweight Thumbhole, on my Stevens 200, in .223.

The other is a Varmint Tbumbhole, on my Savage 110 FP, also in .223.

Both rifles will shoot under an inch at 200 yards. So, no problems with the Boyd stocks here.

Highly recommended.

"I mounted my Savage F93 22 Mag heavy barrel target into a Boyds Thumbhole with a Nikon 3x9 Rimfire BDC

I like the thumbhole but they are not for everyone.I use mine mostly for targets"

I have the same gun but with stainless heavy barrel. I like this look I think. Wish I could compare feel. What "type" or specifications for the stock did you give for them to send you a stock that fit correctly? How difficult was the install?

"Thanks guys. I'm torn between prairie hunter and classic. I don't think I would care for the thumbhole for hunting situations if a off hand shot would be needed."

The thumbhole stock doesn't have a problem for offhand shots. I have a custom ultra lightweight .308 based on a 1912 Steyr Mauser that weighs exactly 5 pounds with scope, sling and a full magazine. The only problem i have when hunting with it is finding a tree to lean on to hold it steady. Recoil, surprisingly enough it rather mild considering the way light weight of the rifle. It's nice to carry, especially at higher elevations.
If I were to do another build, I would look at one of the Boyd's thumbhole stocks. Bed quite interesting to see how the style handles recoil of a more powerful cartridge.
Paul B.

FYI - I've had a problem with Remington 700 factory LAMINATED stocks. Over time, they tend to spread due to the rounded receiver. Pillar bedding with internal crossbolts imbedded in epoxy stopped the spread in my rifle. It's not clear whether Boyd's stocks would have that problem, but it may be due to the relatively soft birch used in most laminates.

Action area cross-bolts have been installed on some factory laminated stocks and that should stop the tendency to spread.

JP

Back