Boycott Walgreens!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Catfishman

A Pharmacist in a Michigan Walgreens was fired for shooting back at two armed robbers.

Walgreens can do whatever they want with their business, but so can we.

Last edited:
Interesting tactic, but boycotts probably don't require much training...

That said:Since he violated store policy, it's Walgreen's right to terminate his employment, despite the fact that he saved them some $ and likely his coworker's life.

Working in a location where carry is not allowed by anyone, employee or otherwise, I'm not terribly surprised at the company's reaction - would set a "dangerous" precedent to allow him to retain his job.

So to perhaps keep this alive for T&T purposes: What do I do if some random BG comes in? Hide under my desk with a letter opener, hope for the best, and be a breathing witness after the fact.

Dammit, Jim, I'm a librarian, not a security guard!

Stressfire, the way I see it, the boycott is over the policy itself, not the individual firing. IE, such a boycott should only be lifted if Walgreen's revised their policy, not if they simply re-hire the pharmacist.

True, but how many corporate entities actually allow non-security employees to go armed?

Just about any handbook I've ever gotten from an employer has stated "no weapons to be carried by employees" Period. Heck, a drug store I worked at in college gave me grief over a box cutter I carried....for Pete's sake, I was a stock boy!

Stressfire, I agree. This is actually a recurring debate in L&CR: the 2A rights of the individual vs the private property rights of businesses. I tend to take the position that a company that bans carry by employees should necessarily have armed security, but business owners don't like that approach, either.

I take my own gun to Walgreens. Don't need any help from a pharmacist if SHTF, but it is appreciated of proffered. What does corporate think about that, my own gun policy, chuck 'em. I wish the guy well in his search for a new job. Walgreens will see the day they have to hire guys like him for security at their stores, if they don't already.

I understand this puts a business in a tough situation. But, not nearly as tough of a situation as the employee.

Just remember the pharmacist would likely be dead had he not had a gun.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back