Bowhunting sites?

Jason280

I recently purchased a bow, so now I think I will get in to bowhunting this year. Does anyone know of any good archery sites on the web?

damn

desertsheep beat me to it, well bowsite.com is a good site, its setup by state and also special forums for elk, deer, target, etc. U'll enjoy it,

Joseph

What type of bow? Shooting aluminum or carbon? Using a release or fingers? Come on...we gotta know!

The bow is a Bear Black Panther, set at 60 lbs with a 30" draw length. Right now I am using aluminum arrows and a standard release, but a lot of people have been recommending carbon arrows. What are the benefits of the carbon over aluminum? Any other suggestions? Thanks for all the help!

Nice set up. Shooting much? Will you use fixed blade or mechanical broad heads for hunting? If using fixed blade, make sure you practice with fixed blade. They don't necessarily fly like field points of the same weight.

I use aluminum arrows, but have been considering carbons. From what I understand, and make sure you verify this info before acting on it, carbons don't warp or bend. They are either straight or broken. I have missed a deer before due to a bent arrow. Additionally I have heard that carbons are lighter, therefore faster, of course this might translate into more noise.

On the flip side, carbons are more expensive, and need a different arrow rest than the one I have now for aluminum arrows. I have some more research to do, but I'm tired of breaking/bending arrows, and carbons might help out.

Let us know what you decide.

hmm

i shoot aluminums personally and i like em, and CD1 i suggest u get an arrow starightner, u can get a cheaper one for 50 bucks or so new, so the savings are easily visable, u can make ur bent arrows good as new, and GOOD carbons are a WHOLE lot more expensive compared to aluminums

FWIW, everything bends - some not as much as others is all.

Carbon's nice - shoots flat(er). Aluminum can be un-bent & has a bit better sectional density = weight = better penetration.

You do lose some of that "flatter trajectory," but at a (still) 40 yard shot, ?

I'll stick with aluminum.

BTW, shot graphite 30+ years ago & any crack made for some "interesting" events when it all came apart at the release. I'd suspect carbon has a similar failing. (Pssst. can you say a 400 fps sliver going through your bow hand when the arrow came apart at acceleration?)

Properly spined aluminun (arrow diameter versus length & bow weight) is about as good as it gets all told. Actually, I'd rather shoot cedar, but spining, etc. is not as concise as with AL.

& another brain fart = I've a few compounds that I do like, but still, all told & considered, I'll take a nice lightweight recurve, & take game all day long w/cedar arrows.

It's the hunting skill that takes game, not the equipment.

Whether hunting with a slingshot or .338 wonder-shooter, the skill-set makes a hunter. The rest is merely equipment.

id rather take a recurve any day over a compound, personally, i shoot for our 4-H club and individually all the time, nebraska state shoot this next weekend, and ya get comfortable at what u use and stick with it, i prefer aluminums over wood right now, but thats mainly because we cant use anything else through the shooting sports program, but i still like them

Back