Bowfishing!

Maybe the last of my Crossbow threads, at least for a while.

I have always been interested in bowfishing. I know it is usually done with a traditional bow, but what abut a crossbow?

I was told to steer clear of the AMS kit in favor of the Muzzy, but I don't see what is wrong with the Bohning kit. For that matter, not sure why I cant get a reel off one of my fly rods and attach it. Would need different line, but..

Probably won't use it until Spring, but I want to keep an eye out for whatever I select on sale or begin experimenting if I rig something.

Anyways, your thoughts?

I want to buy or build myself a sling bow. It is basically a slingshot modified to shoot arrows, and can be further modified to be used for sling bow fishing. They are honestly a lot of fun to shoot, surprisingly powerful and straight shooting. Aiming is purely instinctual.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QyxjnDNHW7Y

Would be fun with access to fish that can be lured to the surface easily. Carp would be an easy target, catish might as well.

Very interesting. I expect to make one of those this week. I already have the slingshot so shouldn't be too difficult. Was actually considering this for squirrel hunting while I was out, but couldn't think of a good way to make the rest in the field. My guess is I could fare much better on squirrel with it.

"Stainless swivel" I could not see this clearly in the video and although I fish some I have only fly fished in the last decade or more and was unfamiliar with the nomenclature. I guessed it was one of these and that does seem to be the case.

not sure if it is legal in Ohio.
http://www.dnr.state.oh.us/Portals/9/pdf/pub084.pdf

Yea that is a swivel. They sell them in various sizes at any place that sells fishing equipment.

For bow fishing I think that you could get away with considering this as a form of archery even if it is not a conventional form of archery. They allow a bow of any weight of pull, and allow long bows and crossbows so why not a sling shot?

You could find a game warden or something just to be sure but as long as you have a fishing license, call it bowfishing and i doubt there would be any problem with it.

It might not be legal for medium sized game, but I have seen video of someone taking a wild boar with one.

Ohio fishing regs say "bow." It is not defined in fishing regs as far as I can tell. Hunting definition is:
LONGBOW or BOW means a device for propelling an arrow by means of limbs, and a string which is hand held, hand drawn, and held in a drawn position by hand or a hand held mechanical release. This would include compound and recurve bows.
That is pretty much for deer hunting though. I am going to have to stop in and see my county officer sometime soon so I will just have to ask him about it.

Back