Bow season opens tomorrow, suggestions?

yankytrash

Well, tomorrow will be my first day I've ever hunted with a bow. Hope it works out. I've gotta pretty good idea where the deer are passing through my property (near my feeders!!! :D ), so chances are I might get a shot off. Whether it hits the mark is another thing...

Any last-minute suggestions for the newbie bow hunter? When should I draw down on one - when he's at my yardage, or before? When I get a decent hit and he bolts, drop the bow and chase him down with my knife, or chase him down with the bow? Chase him at all? Ya ever dropped one on the spot?

Broadheads are all good and sharp again, picked out 3 of the straightest-flying arrows I have (out of 8), re-secured my knife for a quicker draw, tried out my shots with all my gear on. Also made sure I was just as proficient sitting and kneeling as I am standing.

What about standing? Should I stand up and shoot when I get a shot, or just try to make the best shot from my current position?

This is all real new to me. I'm realizing now (last minute jitters...) that there are advantages to shotgunnin' that I never realized I didn't have with a bow. Timing being the biggest factor, shooting position next.

Hope I sleep tonite....

first of all, relax....it will be a blast, and you'll be amazed at how close you can actually get to a deer.

remember, movement is probably the thing that spooks deer the most...maybe even more than smell. so move as little as possible, and when you do move, do it slow.

when to draw...i always draw when the deer is not able to see me and it is close to your personal max. yardage (mine is 25 yards). i've had to hold at full draw in the past for upwards of 2 minutes while i waited for a deer to quit screwing around...

when you loose the arrow, remember your follow-through. keep the bow up just as you do in practice. remember your sight picture, and concentrate on the 'spot'. if you can follow the same sequence as you do in practice, all will go well.

after your arrow hits your deer, remember to start breathing again, or you'll pass out. :) don't chase it down...if you are positive of a good hit, give it half hour or so, then go gut it. if you are not sure of your hit, give it a couple of hours (remember why a broadhead causes an animal to die: hemorrhage), then start tracking. be methodical and slow...you'll find it.

i always shoot from whatever position i am in. if i am standing, i shoot from that position. if i am kneeling/sitting, that is how i shoot (hopefully you practiced from all positions?). remember, movement spooks deer. when you draw, do it slow and smooth, and don't let the arrow fall off the rest. maybe wrap the area around the rest w/ tape so if it does fall, it doesn't make a lot of racket.

all for now. good luck. relax, you'll do fine.

Back