Bought, picked up, and fired my Ruger #1H

Hueco

Just wanted to let all you guys that helped me decide on the Ruger that I finally got to fire her last Friday. It was perfect! Recoil is absolutely not bad. It barely hurt at all. Wonderful rifle!! This weekend I sight it in, so I will be sure to report back to you on how the groups came out (and how I came out :)). Thanks again everyone!!

Hueco

Congrats, hope you enjoy it. Question though, will you be loading your own ammo? Or are you independantly wealthy? I saw factory ammo for nearly a $100 for 20 rounds!!!!!

------------------
I thought I'd seen it all, until a 22WMR spun a bunny 2 1/4 times in the air!

Well, after I build my collection of brass up I might reload. But as it stands now -- no. Whoa...$100?! What kind was it? Certainly not what I buy! Ammo is a bit expensive, but the pleasure I get from shooting it is worth it. Nope, thanks to this rifle I am independantly poor. :D

Hueco

Hueco:

Dont you love it....so much style .....

SOOOOOOO much lead

Enjoy it.

Huntschool

"single shot shooters only shoot once"
(more if they are at the range)

Hehe, yes it is a lotta lead. :) The backstop at the range is a gravel levee. When most rifles fire and the bullet hits the gravel there is a small puff of dust. I noticed, after I fired, there was a massive cloud probably 7 or 8 feel high and across -- looked like a missle hand hit the dirt!

Hueco

I tell you Hueco, $80 and you could be shooting .460 Weatherby out of that #1

Yeah baby :p

NJW in AZ

huntschool, recoil is pleasurable. After benching a 12 ga, and two rounds of trap I mangaged to fit in a 3 shot group from the Ruger off the bench. It does shove me back quite far, but with almost no pain. It's a perfect rifle.

NJW, $80 is the rechambering fee?! Geez, for that price I might just have to do that!!

Hueco

HUECO,

Yup, The place I had it done charged that (it may have been $85?) to rechamber the barrel, recut the extractor and relieve the top of the bolt. They also remarked the caliber on the barrel.

NJW in AZ

So how much worse is the recoil? I assume you had the .458, so how does the 460 compare in performance and recoil to the "old" .458?

Hueco

I did shoot it a few times in .458 before having it rechambered. Since recoil is a subjective thing and being 6'4" 230 lbs means that I have a different take on recoil. There is definatly more recoil with the .460 but it seems to be less of a sharp recoil compared the the .458. You are still pushing the same weight bullet out at alot faster speed with alot more powder but since it is a bigger case and slower powder it is less sharp but there is still alot of it.(I know, clear as mud :).
In performance, my normal load of 120 grs. of AA 4350 pushes the Hornady 500 gr. soft nose out of the #1H at 2,650 fps. using a Weatherby case and a Federal 215 magnum primer. I didn't chrono the .458 but I know it is quite a bit less in the velocity department with the same weight bullet.

NJW in AZ

Well, I think I'll let that sleeping dog named Weatherby lie for now. When I can shoot a 4 or 5 shot group with all holes touching...I'll consider a rechamber. Until then I would wasting my money and shoulder tissue. :) I think I'll add a scope before I rechamber too, my #1 deserves that. :D

Hueco

A Leopold of some sort definately. The three in mind are Vari-X III 1.5-5x20mm Illuminated Reticle, Vari-X III 1.5-5x20mm, or the Vari-X II 1-4x20mm. Right now I am leaning towards the standard Vari-X III. I would love the Illuminated model...but I doubt I'll be able to afford that. But having any of them would be great!

Hueco

Back