Bought an 835

Hueco

Well, apparently, my dad is as much of a masochist as I am (I plan to order my Ruger #1H tonight). Last night he bought a Mossberg 835 (wood stock). Any comments on it? We will both use it for trap (hunting later on). We have yet to pattern it, but plan to do so this weekend. Let me know of anything queer that this gun likes to do, and of anything that I should just plain ol' know about it. Thanks!!

Hueco

I've owned an 835 for 3 years. The gun shoots well. Have taken chukar and pheasant with it.

But I have had 2 problems with it. First, when firing 3" mag 00 buck, it didn't want to cycle after I shot it. Had to jiggle it a second or two to get it to pump. Happened twice, same outing. Of course, I had problems getting my shoulder to recycle after shooting that stuff, too... Never had a problem with 2 3/4 buck.

Second, I have had two "failures to extract". On two separate outings. Same ammo, but I don't see how that could affect? Its really a bummer because the only way to fix is to push the spent shell out from the muzzle with a stick, cleaning rod, whatever. Fortunately both times it happend we were shooting clay, not birds.

Anyone else have any problems like these?

Back