Bought a 2006 Weatherby Vanguard in 7mm-08

It has a 20 inch barrel and even though it was used, it looks like it probably hasn't shot more than one box of ammo though it.

My question is, since this isn't a Series 2 rifle, what should should I know about this rifle. Are there any quirks that need to be watched for?

I have one in 3006 with a 24 inch barrel. It has an adjustable trigger and action that is smooth as glass. However it is extremely picky on what it like to shoot. Mine will stack 150 and 180gr bullets all day but 165gr will not shoot at all. So don't get discouraged if at first it doesn't drive tacks, just try another load

Sent from my XT1060 using Tapatalk

Fine rifles... the trigger however, has limits on its adjustability. It won't go much under 3 1/2 lbs. You need to put a Timney on it to fix that issue.

You might check Weatherby's website as there was a recall on the Vanguard bolt shrouds a few years ago. Don't remember which years were involved.

Everybody has an opinion, mine is based on me. I disagree that hunting triggers have to be 3 1/2 lbs. + to be safe. I almost never use a safety because I almost never chamber a round until I'm ready to fire. I absolutely don't touch the trigger until I'm ready to fire, so if the trigger is functioning as it is designed to, then it's just as safe at 2 lbs. as 3 1/2.

There were very few changes with the S2. The synthetic stock was redesigned and the S2 has a 3 position safety. I'm pretty sure all of the originals have 2 position safeties, but it is possible they went to the 3 position prior to the S2. The metal is a matte finish on the S2's vs polished on the original.

I've had 2-3 of the original Vanguards over the years. They are solid guns. My biggest complaint is that they are heavier than I want. But they tend to shoot very well and I've never had or known of any mechanical problems.

oldscot3 is absolutely correct - but many shooters do things differently and in those cases, a 3.5 pound trigger pull is light enough.

Helps to keep them out of trouble.

My preference for a hunting rifle is for around eight pounds fully dressed with scope and mounts. - But I do not climb any mountains or slog around in the forest for hours at a time, in the hunting situations that I tend to encounter.

The cartridge that you use should also be a factor in a rifle's weight. A heavier recoiling round will generally require a heavier rifle, up to a point of course.

I have a HOWA (Wby Vanguard) 7mm08 20" carbine which fortunately has a fairly decent off the shelf trigger. I don't feel the need to change triggers since it's not a heavily used carbine and shoots well enough for my uses. If I were to change, it would be to a Timney(have one of those on a HOWA .223 and like it).
My 7mm08 shoots 139-140 grainers quite well and I've found that weight bullet about perfect for deer.

The safety on a factory Vanguard trigger slides in front of the trigger above the pivot point. Reducing the sear engagement and then reducing the pull weight with the adjustment screws both have the effect of moving the trigger forward so that the safety cannot operate. To go below 3 lbs. you have to grind, file or stone material off of the forward trigger surface.

That's a modification I'm unwilling to make, thus the Timney is my choice.

Back