Bottom metal or blind mag?

ptpalpha

When I replace the stock on my hunting rifle, I'll need to decide whether to go with the same bottom metal or convert to a blind magazine. To me the choice seems obvious: blind mag to save weight and make the gun more idiot proof (KISS principle). After all, when do you need more than 3 shots for whitetail? Am I thinking correctly on this or am I missing something?

When I built the Navy Seals sniper rifles they wanted blind mags due to the sand and water. The M86 was blind for a while but it wasn't long before the teams started dropping in to have them changed over to bottom metal. They found that in a combat situation that it was faster to dump the mag and reload as apposed to clearing a jam on the blind mag.

Ahhhhhh. That's what I was looking for: the situation I hadn't thought of. Thanks again, Gale. You changed my mind. (Besides, few things make me smile more than custom bottom metal!)

Another thing to consider is jams. They can be a real pain to clear with a blind mag...with a bottom plate, you just dump the offending rounds and start over.

Back