Boresnakes.....

Dave McC

Staff In Memoriam
Anyone have any experience with these? Wife seems allergic to Hoppe's #9 and anything I can do to speed up cleaning will be helpful. Thanks...

I love them. They clean the barrel faster than anything I've ever seen. For a quick cleanup on the range, they're perfect. For more detailed work (which your weapon will still need later), they speed things up.

I love 'em for my semi-auto rifles, so I can clean from the breech. Some folks have complained that they don't do as good a job cleaning out significant leading. To me, that just means clean often enough that lead doesn't build up. I have had no problems.

do a search on bore snake and you will get a lot more responses and opinions on how they are best used and what the can really do for your guns.

I like them a lot. Another suggestion is trying MPro7 instead of Hoppes. It works well and does not contain petroleum distillates.

TT

Thanks, folks. I like the idea of running something through the 870 before I get back from the range,and shortening cleaning time, and fumes, thereby.

And I'll search the archives....

Dave:

Go to a bicycle store and get a large bottle of citrus solvent. It smells like oranges, and it will do just fine on the powder residue. You might need to wear gloves if you use it full strength, as it is a bit tough on the hands.

M1911

Keep that citrus off stocks!

And plastics. Its POWERFUL stuff, along the line of acetone and will remove/damage stock finishes.

My trick? Keep a bottle of Tilex Soap Scum remover handy. If the smell gets too bad for her, clean the shower, tub, sink and floor. This smell will overpower the Hoppes plus you'll get an attaboy!

BTW, the citrus also works except get it from ZEP, found at your local home improvement store. Its better suited in the kitchen on tough oven grease, sink scum and stovetop spills. Oh yes, its a deram on the venthood!

Continue to use the Hoppes and throw patches etc. into a plastic bag that you will immediately take outside after cleaning.

Dave, I use a bore snake and a few drops of CLP before leaving the range. It makes me feel better, and makes cleaning a little easier, but I find I still need to clean with patches and a proper jag to get the bore really clean.

Dave,
I never used a snake until it was recommended for unleading an old .22 Winchester. I couldn't figure out how that fat cord was going to get through a .22 shaft let alone one leaded up; and it took a while to get it in (this barrel had much buildup). Once through, I hooked the loop on a door knob and WORKED (I do mean WORKED) the barrel back and forth for a good time (not an enjoyable time:) ). When done the lead was in a pile on my bench and the bore shiny bright. For me it then became an enjoyable event. Snake recommended!

molonlabe1small.JPG

[Edited by Ironbarr on 02-18-2001 at 10:35 AM]

She doesn't like the scent of Hoppes #9? That's unfathomable! I think it should be made in aerosol form for use as bathroom air freshener.

i use a boresnake on my Para P-12 and used one on my SW-99.they really make cleaning alot easier.i wouldn't recommend using the boresnake along though.

I soak the brush section with a solvent, the rest of the snake dries the bore like 600 patches, or some huge amount.

I pull through twice, and I put a few drops of oil on the tail for the last pass.

I have a Boresnake for every caliber. They are great. Tip: to clean your .357 mag revolver cylinder, use a .40 cal boresnake.

The only problem I have with them is how to clean them. I used 2 of them about 50 times before cleaning them. Never again. They will absorb a lot of oil/solvent/gunk. Now I will clean them after 4 or 5 uses. It's simple. Soak them overnight in a bucket of hot water and clothes washing detergent. Next day soak in hot water and dry.

Bowser.

You can also clean them by putting them in an old pair of nylons, and running them through the washing machine.

Back