Boresighter issues

Wendyj

I've got an old bsa boresighter. It works with 7 mm caliber. 22 caliber but when I put the 30 caliber insert in it's always way above the top of the grid. Bore sighted a 30-30 with new Burris full field scope and was out of clicks before I could get low enough to get on the grid. That's 4 30 caliber rifles it's done that on. Went to lgs and they had plenty of clicks left and was spot on. Any idea why the 30 caliber does this.

The height of your scope, or the way you use the bore sighter can affect it. I usually sight down the bore and align the scope to the center. It works well enough to be within 2 or 3 inches at 100 yards.

I do that when all else fails. This is a lever action. It should have been the easiest of my rifles. Low rings and close to the bore. I just put scope back to zero and used a laser bore sighter which I don't have a lot of faith in. The 56 mm nightforce on the 20 moa base in my 308 was so far above the grid you could barely see it after it was zeroed in using the gunsmiths boresighter.

Just shoot the rifle at a sheet of paper. I've never found a bore sight tool that would save me even one round of ammo or 30 seconds of my time getting a rifle zeroed. Even with a lever action or other type of rifle where I couldn't look through the bore.

The key is to be close enough, or use a target large enough that you can't miss. It matters not one bit if your 1st shot misses the aiming point by 1" or 1'. Count enough clicks to get the scope adjusted and shot #2 will be on target. The bore sight tools don't do anything different.

Back