bore snakes

NHSHOOTER

I just picked up 3 bore snakes for my 3 different caliber rifles I shoot often, I think the bores come cleaner with the snakes, any opinions?

Some people think they dont seem to do anything. I'm not one of those people.

I mainly let the solvents do the work and then use the snake to clean it out. I also tend to clean frequently, so I do not let a lot of carbon or copper build at one time. For this, the snake works great for me. I can more or less get the bore spotless with this method.

I doubt it'll work so well after firing 1000 rounds of corrosive, dirty AK ammo, though, but I guess it all depends on how well your solvents work. I just wouldn't expect it to do well under heavy grime.

IMO, the bore snake has two main uses. Easy, quick, bore cleaning, in the field, especially if it's something light, like dust or rain that got into the bore. And cleanings on guns without heavy fouling, where you can let the solvents do most of the work. I wouldn't expect it to replace a real cleaning kit, even though I exclusively use a bore snake on my Ruger M77 because it works well enough, for how I use the rifle.

The bristles also last surprisingly long. I don't know how many passes I have with my bore snake, easily a few hundred, though, and I've yet to break one, or mess up the bristles. Been using it about 2 years now, I've washed it a few times, and it's still holding up fine. Some of the weaving is starting to fray at the end because I let the bristles get caught on the end of the snake when it was getting washed, they got in there pretty good and I wasn't careful enough when I was fixing it. Not really a big deal as it doesn't affect the strength or effectiveness of the snake.

I just can't understand anyone using a bore snake. You pull a dirty rope through your gun and think you're cleaning it? Each time you use that thing it collects dirt which is imbedded in the fiber of the snake. Then you pull it through again and call it "cleaning" your gun. What! That's like putting dirty oil in your car when it's just not as dirty as the oil you take out. Why not just use a solvent, brush, and patch? It's a gimmick, not a cleaner.

It doesn't deposit the copper and carbon back into the barrel. Also you can wash them whenever you like. It also removes dust, water, small leaves, etc. in the field. I think you've got the wrong idea about bore snakes.

Think of it like this. Is a rag in a machine shop useless, because it's a little dirty? No, because unless it is drenched in fresh oil or something, it's not going to deposit all that dirt and grim back, and can still be used to wipe grime, grease, dust, or oil, off things. Same goes for the bore snake. It doesn't need to be fresh and clean to be effective, but it also shouldn't be trashed in gunk and oil.

I bought a 30 cal bore snake a few months ago to try it out, one of my shooting buddies used them exclusively and raves about how well they work.

After a range session I sprayed some foaming CLP down the bore of my 308, let it soak for a few minutes, then pulled the bore snake down it 3 times. Looked pretty clean (the snake) so I thought 'hey, that works pretty well'. But it didn't soak up all the cleaner, bore still looked a little wet, so I got my jag and pushed a dry patch down the bore (Butch's triple twill patch)-- it came out the muzzle just as black as it usually does after going to the range, looked like the bore snake did exactly nothing.

So, I guess I'm wondering, has anyone who claims bore snakes work well actually followed the bore snake with a patch to see?

I tried bore snakes a while back.

As a test I cleaned with a bore snake & solvent as directed. Then I did a conventional clean with rods jags & patches. In every case the rod & patches excavated crud the bore snake had left behind.

I do use the .22 one in my 10/22 because there is a school of thought that the lube kina-sorta seasons the bore & so you don't want squeaky clean.:cool:

Back