bore snake

docstodd

I have seen a product at the stores called the bore snake is it as good as they make it sound. has anyone tried it. any response wouuld be great as it looks like a good idea. but does it work. looks like it would be easier on crowns and chambers

I haven't used one, but have seen them in the store. It seems that they would work good for a quick cleaning in the field, but I am skeptical that it is as good as a cleaning rod, brushes, jag, patches.

IMHO, those things are a waste of money.

------------------------------
Now that I have my own bore snake, see my post below.

[This message has been edited by jcoyoung (edited March 27, 2000).]

I think they're great! I shoot about 3 times a week. I use the snake and Powder Blast each time at the range. It's a good first clean, and it makes it real easy when once a week I do it the old fashion way. Regards, Dennis

I've been using one for about 2 months. It doesn't realy clean your firearm, but it does a good job of getting it clean enough to keep shooting durring long range sessions. It's very handy to toss into the range bag and it portability is probably it's best point.

Good Luck...

Joe

------------------
Go NRA

I love them. I have one for every caliber that I have. They are the first and last thing to pass through the bore and cylinder during a cleaning session. Brush with solvent in between.

I don't think they replace any cleaning device, or make anything obsolete, they are just one more cleaning tool at your disposal.

When they get dirty, just put them in a mesh bags and throw them in the washer.

[This message has been edited by Trigger Jerk (edited March 15, 2000).]

My S&W 41 22LR auto pistol will jamb up somewhere after 100 rounds for sure from some kind of fouling (I don't claim to understand it). Before this happens, or after, a dry bore snake run through the barrel will correct the problem. Its great at the range. Quick and no mess.
A gunsmith gave me this tip and it works.

OK, I bought a M1A last week and due to the design of the action, a standard cleaning rod is a pain in the butt to use correctly (cleaning from breech to muzzle). The guy at the shop recommends the snake and I decide to give it a try.

WOW! This thing is great! No more fumbling with patches and a bulky rod. Easy cleaning. :) I still don't feel that the snake can replace a good cleaning with a dedicated rod/brush/jag combination, but it's great for a quick field cleaning. I'll be picking one up in .223 during my next trip to the gun store.

I hereby retract my earlier statement that the 'snake is a wast of money. :o

I started using a bore snake about 2 months ago and think they're great. They don't replace standard cleaning tools, but during all day IPSC matches they do keep the barrel from getting really gross.

------------------
Tom Whitman
SSgt, USAF

Back