Bore sighting /scope question.

ATTICUS

I have a Bushnell bore sighter. I tried to sight in a Bushnell "trophy" 3x9 scope on a Remington 7400 with see through mounts. For some reason the grid appeared on the far left hand side of the view. I cranked the dial on the scope as far to the left as possible, but point of aim is still to the right of center. At first I thought something was wrong with the bore sighter but it appears that the point of aim really is off to the right (when looking across the room and comparing the iron sights to the scopes point of aim). What am I doing wrong? I've never had a problem like this. I just took this scope off of another rifle and never had a problem with it. The see through mounts are junk that came with the gun, could they be the culprit?

Atticus, I think you've found the problem already but it could also be that the holes for the bases are off center or not directly over the axis of the bore. A guy brought in a Bennelli shotgun the other day that another smith had drilled and tapped. Under the bases his layout markings were still visible. They were correct but he missed with the drill and got the rear base off center. You might check the ones on your rifle. George

Atticus, I'd be willing to bet George has already diagnosed the problem. If that is it, you might consider the Burris Signature "Pos-align" rings, with eccentric inserts that will allow you to correct the problem. best,weegee

[This message has been edited by weegee (edited June 23, 2000).]

George is absolutely correct. I bought a Millet base and rings yesterday, put them on last night, and the problem is still there. so what is the best option, re-drill, Burris rings? How do the Burris rings correct the mis-allignment? Can you give a ballpark price on another drill and tap (if that can be done) and a price on the Burris rings? I'm selling this gun to a freind of mine and would like to fix the problem first or give him a price break so that he can fix it. Thanks guys. Dave

Atticus, whichever holes are out of alinement of course would have to be re-done. Sometimes, as on the Bennelli I mentioned, it is possible to pivot the base using one of the holes already there. If not they would have to be drilled and tapped either just forward or just to the rear of the present holes. I would have to look at what's been done to tell you what needed to be done. I would imagine the cost would run from $25 to $50 just depending on what or how many holes were involved. It might also be possible to drill a set of bases off set to match the holes already drilled. That possibility would depend on how far out of line they are. E-mail me if you like. George

Atticus--
The Burris rings have polymer inserts which are cylindrical inside, to fit the scope, and spherical outside, to fit the inside shape of the rings (I.E. like a 'ball-and-socket').This provides cushioning to the scope tube and grips tighter than metal-to-metal contact.

On a normal installation--that is, using the 'centered' inserts that come with the rings--the scope lines up in the center of the rings, just like any other rings.

But--the design allows 'eccentric' inserts to be used as well. These have to be purchased separately. These off-center inserts can be rotated in whatever direction is necessary to correct misalignment of holes, incorrect base heights (within reason) or both.

The rings sell for about $35-40.00/pair, from Natchez or Midsouth, and the eccentric inserts probably would have to be ordered from Brownell's, or a good local gunshop might have some (I think they're about $5-7.00/set).

Also; you might consider trying a base of the 'Redfield' type--the one with windage adjustment in the rear. (If the millet base and rings you mentioned are of this type, and there wasn't enough adjustment range to correct the problem, then you'll either need the Burris rings (they come in both Redfield and Weaver types) or to have George work his magic. (George, that idea of drilling the bases 'off' to match the holes is brilliant!)

Thanks gents, I'm taking it for a test shoot today, so we'll see just how far I'm off. I'll let you know how it turns out. It's nice to know that this cat can be skinned several ways however. Much appreciation, Dave

At 50 yards the windage was dead on-elevation was about 6" low. After a couple of adjustments it was shooting 1"- 4 shot groups. I think that the drilling AND the boresighter are a little off. I put the boresighter on another rifle that was sighted in at the range last week and it was off to the right of the grid also. My buddy was happy and bought it, so I'm in the market once again for a Remington 700BDL. Thanks again for the help guys.

Back