Bore cleaner ?

If you want to get rid of copper, use a combination of Boretech Eliminator and KG-12.

The KG does a better job but doesn't turn blue. The Eliminator turns blue very quickly.

Use the KG12 to get rid of the copper and then use a wet patch of Eliminator to verify that it's gone.

(Best to run dry patch in between to avoid mixing chemicals.)

The KG does a better job but doesn't turn blue.
True.:cool:

Its good stuff but not ammonia based so you won't get a blue/green color indication, but is does remove metal fouling. Its color is a brownish-black as it uses a different chemical to dissolve the material.

Wipe-Out and Patch-Out don't contain ammonia and they do turn blue when removing copper. They work very well removing copper.

It depends on the ammonia concentration.

Some low ammonia ones can be left in but most of the stronger ones (like Sweets) are strictly a 10~15 minute proposition as the steel of the bore can be attacked by high concentrations of the stuff.

One of the reasons I switched away from them was this. There are a couple (& only a couple) of non ammonia based ones that remove metal fouling chemically like then KG big bore & the M-Pro-7. I regularly leave the M-pro in overnight & have zero problems. That, the lack of a strong smell & the water based cleanup of brushes, jags & so on have lured me away from the more traditional oil & ammonia types.

where does the gun slick foaming bore cleaner rate with the ones mentioned ? I tried the Hoppe's foaming bore cleaner and it leaked all over, it made a mess. The tube is too thick and it is a pump not an aerosol. I didn't care for it at all. The gun slick worked much better as far as not leaking and getting it in the bore, but it did not turn blue. It came out gray. Maybe I didn't have enough copper fouling in the barrel to turn blue.

It might have been a non ammonia based cleaner. ONLY ammonia gives the blue/green residue. KG big bore is tan/brown & M-pro is black/grey.

My advice would be don't get hung up on the color, which is dependent on the individual chemical process involved. Focus instead on how clean the bore gets.

It might have been a non ammonia based cleaner. ONLY ammonia gives the blue/green residue.

Wipe-Out, the foaming bore cleaner, and Patch-Out, the liquid form of the bore cleaner, DO NOT contain ammonia and will push out blue when cleaning copper. The patches are dark gray to black cleaning carbon. Since Wipe-Out doesn't contain ammonia, it is safe to spray in the barrel and leave it overnight then patch it out the next day. No fumes, odor or scrubbing, just 3 or 4 patches is all it takes.

Back