Boots: Snake or Rubber?

baddarryl

Hi all. If you could only have one pair of hunting boots which would they be? I am looking at waterproof snake boots and rubber ones in the $150 and less range. Any you guys can recommend. I need some by Friday. Taking the kids on their first hunt for Bambi!

I like the snake boots, since they are waterproof, and don't make you sweat like rubber.

I and my wife each have a pair of Rocky's and they have held up well even after 7 years of use

You are the first person I've heard with a pair of Rocky boots that hasn't lost the sole after the first year.

As to waterproof snake boots, most claim to be but will leak if you go waking through a stream. My Danners are really "water resistant". It helps when I apply some of that waterproofing spray oil a couple times a year.

I think my next ones will be LaCrosse Alpha mudlite rubber snake boots. True waterproofing like other rubber boots but with the armor of a cloth snake boot.

Kamiks rubber boots. I have a pair that i bought after i was exposed to them in the military. I would walk through anything with them.

First,congratulations on taking the kids hunting!!And respect.

On the boots....I don't know how to make this sound happy..but "Gotta get new boots to hunt in by Friday"sounds .......risky? That's pretty close.

IMO,the first requirement is that they fit,and you can walk in them.All day.Hard to hunt when your feet hurt.

I do not know what environment you are hunting in.Hills? Swamp? How many snakes? How cold? If its cold,not likely to see snakes...If it is warm enough for snakes,having wet feet for a day or two won't kill you...etc.

For most conditions,I'd find a light boot that fits,a birdhunting boot or something like a Danner Pronghorn(IF and only if that boot fits you!!)

I'd put finding a fit over the type of boot.I'm using some GI "RAT" boots I got off E-bay right now...not bad.They fit!!

If you are walking only ashort distance and standing in water,maybe rubber..but for my experience,rubber boots are good for muddy corrals,but hunting?Not so much.

ANY boot that fits is better than any boot that hurts after 3 miles.

I recommend some good,heavy merino wool sox,pay about $20 for them,and don't get them too small.

And even in Colorado winter,I prefer un insulated boots.I were sox to keep warm.

As to waterproof snake boots, most claim to be but will leak if you go waking through a stream. My Danners are really "water resistant". It helps when I apply some of that waterproofing spray oil a couple times a year.
I spray mine every now and then with Silicone waterproofing.
I've never had any problems with leaks or with the soles

Well I am in coastal NC and we hunt year round so better safe than sorry I guess. I got hit by a Black Widow 2 years back. I wouldn't wish that or anything like it on my exwife! :)

Not many snakes out in December, unless you are way south.

Rattlers in southern MS, GA, AL, Carolinas, etc. don't hibernate. They hole up and go dormant when it is cold but if you have a nice warm couple of days in the middle of winter they'll pop out and sun themselves hoping to also catch a quick meal.

If you could only have one pair of hunting boots which would they be?

My needs are probably not your needs .....

Mine certainly would not be rubber- there can be quite a bit of walking involved in hunting Bambi in SW Nebraska...... rubber boots make for sweaty feet. Sweaty feet are wet feet, and wet feet become cold feet almost as soon as you stop walking. I also have never seen a pair of rubber boots that was the least bit quit to walk in .....

I also favor 2 (or 3, better yet) pairs of boots. I like to alternate them- wear one day, then lett them air out for a day. I like to have a lighter pair in case it gets unseasonably warm (meaning much walking, as the deer won't move, so you have to go find them), and two pair of insulated boots ..... at least 400 grams of thinsulate .....

You are the first person I've heard with a pair of Rocky boots that hasn't lost the sole after the first year.

I have a pair of Rocky's that is at least a dozen years old .... the Goretex lining has worn through, but the soles are still on. I'm pretty sure they have hundreds of miles on them by now...... that said, I understand that Rocky quality is not what it once was.

that said, I understand that Rocky quality is not what it once was

I heard it was when they moved their production to some 3rd world country that it went downhill. Back when they were American made, they were fine.

Not many snakes out in December, unless you are way south.

I would have thought so too .....

I did see a 5 foot bullsnake out on a gravel road in SW Nebraska in the third week of November..... it was 50 degrees and he was moving in slow motion, but he was out ....... there are sometimes days in December when it gets well above that.

Rubber wont leave a scent trail.

A drop or two of doe pee on each toe, and the bucks will be trailing YOU.

It works well during the rut. Just make sure you watch your backtrail, especially if you are on the ground!

Or you can use any number of cover scents, from fox/coyote urine, to crushed cedar, to fresh cow pies. They work, too.

I don't use any type of scent cover and I do alright. I have been busted by my trail before but still usually just wear sneakers.

Back