Booming on the Fourth

I use loose powder and seat a ball made of aluminum foil to give the charge a little compression ...no worries about the foil ball starting grass fires like a paper or cloth wadding would .
Reenactors are not allowed to use a ram rod these days ..they had some accidents where the ramrods were forgotten in the bore and shot out , of course if you are just wanting the boom for the 4th , you won`t be shooting in an unsafe direction eaither way .
Another tip if you own a smooth bore ..use it ..it will make the clean up alot easyer ..you wouldn`t beleive how dirty blanks can get a barrel .

Just pour yur charges and lightly press a lube pill on top of them. With 3 or 4, 5-7 gr of BP you can shoot flies indoors with them lube pilss as boolits:D
How'd the other batch come out anyway?

SG

Last edited:
Loose powder. BTW, as a young adult, I'd stuff foil balls down atop for compression. That's what the chocolate bar foils are good for (or even used foil wrap).

Double charge of powder, and a fiber shotgun wad. Preferrably from a very large bore singleshot pistol with maybe a 6" to 8" barrel. You would not believe how loud. Don't ask me how I know.

BTW, for anyone living in an area with a high fire hazard, don't use felt wads or anything else that can start a fire. Load only with black powder and point it in the air to make sure you don't start a grass fire. Let's be safe and sane this Fourth.:)

Back