Bond Arms Rough and Ready?

Prof Young

Anyone out there have the Bond Arms Rough model in 45/410? I've always been attracted to the Bond double barrel guns, but thought they were a bit pricey. The Rough model in 45/410 with three inch barrel has an MSRP of $299.00 . . . so I'm finding myself interested. Would love to hear from anyone with Bond Arms Rough experience.

Life is good.
Prof Young

If you buy one let me know if you are also interested in a set of 357 barrels. I got a set, brand new, in a trade for a "box of gun junk" and I'll sell them for $100

i have several original, generation 2 bond arms derringers in several calibers (smoother trigger denoted by indented trigger and wider hammer spur) and added a rowdy/roughneck 357/38. in summary, please don’t. mine was so ill-fitted that i had to pry open the lever after shooting and was unable to swap barrels. after a protracted unfriendly call with b.a., i was grudgingly allowed to return it at my expense for free warranty work. it was returned in a week in better shape but still not as smooth as the original. i sold it off with full disclosure. i sent a followup email to b.a., not even a courtesy reply.

don’t get me wrong, i enjoy the original b.a. derringers. i advise to look for a value priced used original gen2 in $300-$350 range in any caliber and add your favorite barrel from ebay. since they are built like brick outhouses it would be unimaginable for any used b.a. to be shot out. also, rubber grips make pleasant shooting, large for “4” calibers. in my experience 357 and 45acp are unpleasant; 410 handgun loads and 45lc not bad; 38, 9mm, 380acp are pleasant. good luck and avoid the rowdy/roughneck models, they undercut b.a.’s otherwise fine reputation imho.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Jstert, you must have gotten a lemon, sorry for your experience. My Rowdy in .45 LC/.410 gauge a sweet little hand cannon that's got a bark AND a bite at least as nasty as my golden shepard/husky mix Kato's is, and the three of us walk out together frequently. Bond arms are well made little tanks that look as good as they perform. And really, these are not made for competition, they are for those up close and personal moments when you encounter those slithery critters, cold and warm blooded, that are begging for form of spanking. Bang, bang,.....ouch.

i have several original, generation 2 bond arms derringers in several calibers (smoother trigger denoted by indented trigger and wider hammer spur) and added a rowdy/roughneck 357/38. in summary, please don’t. mine was so ill-fitted that i had to pry open the lever after shooting and was unable to swap barrels. after a protracted unfriendly call with b.a., i was grudgingly allowed to return it at my expense for free warranty work. it was returned in a week in better shape but still not as smooth as the original. i sold it off with full disclosure. i sent a followup email to b.a., not even a courtesy reply.

don’t get me wrong, i enjoy the original b.a. derringers. i advise to look for a value priced used original gen2 in $300-$350 range in any caliber and add your favorite barrel from ebay. since they are built like brick outhouses it would be unimaginable for any used b.a. to be shot out. also, rubber grips make pleasant shooting, large for “4” calibers. in my experience 357 and 45acp are unpleasant; 410 handgun loads and 45lc not bad; 38, 9mm, 380acp are pleasant. good luck and avoid the rowdy/roughneck models, they undercut b.a.’s otherwise fine reputation imho.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
So you bought one brand new and Bond made YOU pay the shipping to get it to them for warranty service? That's crap.

I just looked at their warranty and it's 3 years from date of purchase. I mean, for the prices they sell their derringers for and how simple they are, I see no reason it's not a lifetime warranty.

And for something like the Bullpup that is very complex and has more parts than standard semi auto pistols, yeah, I wouldn't touch one unless it had a lifetime warranty.

After hearing your experience with Bond's customer service, I think I'll be avoiding their products altogether. I mean, the product they make is high quality and I've seen videos of their production facility and it's top notch, but if this is how they treat customers, they don't deserve my business.

I have always thought that the Bond Arms derringers were way too heavy and expensive to consider.
I have a Taurus .38 Ultralite that was given to me by. a friend before he passed away. I have used it trouble free for years. .38 Special, six shots, 16 ounces unloaded and - just checked - retails for less $ than the BS Rough or Rowdy.
Weighs less, costs less, holds more.
Pete

I saw this thread when it posted over a week ago. I’d picked up up a 45/410 Bond Arms Rough & Rowdy about a month ago and today was the first trip to the range since then. My son & I mostly shot .22’s but I did put 4 rounds of .410 #6 shot thru it to test function and to check point if impact. Fit and the matte finish on my sample-of-one is good, and function in firing is good. Since the spread at 15’ (shooting at a 24” steel plate) is atrocious, I can’t speak to point of aim/point of impact. Hahaha! I’m not sure any pellets hit the plate at all!

I have a 2nd gen Bond Arms in .357, and I have no problem hitting 12” plates at 10 yards, so I think it’s the rifling that spins the shot into a donut shape. I’ll try it next time with .45 colt.

Prof Young, I’ll be the last person to discourage you from buying another gun! These are neat & fun & (at least mine) are extremely well made, but admittedly they aren’t a top choice for personal defense. That said, I like mine.
(Sorry for the fuzzy pic, but the clear photos file sizes exceed the website threshold)

Attachments

• 5A51F119-AF73-4D3C-9CE6-194DEB7BD00F.jpeg
    5A51F119-AF73-4D3C-9CE6-194DEB7BD00F.jpeg
    214 KB · Views: 44
Last edited:
Back