Bond Arms Derringers - Have Experience?

usmcxd

Looking at possibly picking up a Bond Arms Derringer at a good price, and was wondering if anyone here has any insights, experience, or suggestions on these little canons.

Should you have one for sale, please INBOX ME to let me know what you have and we will go from there.

Thank you for your time everyone!!!

hi, my advice from having a couple. as you already know b.a. derringers are indestructible and elegant. since they built tough and shot little, used ones can be great deals. if shopping used look for new models (smoother action) denoted by indented trigger and wider hammer spur. 9mm is easy/fun/cheap/soda can accurate to 15', followed by 38sp. 357mag is no fun at all. "4" calibers need extended grip, all calibers better with rubber grips. in 410, for comfort's sake, only use handgun-specific 2.5" defense rounds, generic 410 hurts too much to enjoy meaningful practice. 45lc shoots surprisingly milder than 45acp. suggested minimum purchase to get the most out of a b.a. is a 410/45lc gun followed by a 3" or 2.5" extra barrel in your primary centerfire caliber. loaded with 410 pdx1, with 1-2 45lc speedstrips in the pocket, a b.a. offers peace of mind if you are worried about a feral beast threat on an afternoon walk through the woods.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last edited:
I have owned four Bond Derringers and some extra barrels too. They are fun guns. Very reliable and you can change the barrels to shoot different calibers. I used to like to keep a .410/.45 Colt in my desk drawer or car center console. It was more of a single threat gun or used to fight my way to my regular gun.

Here is the problem though. They are heavy and big. For less weight I can carry a Glock 43, Kahr PM9, Sig P938, etc. in 9mm and have a lot more ammo at m y disposal. There size does not make the easy to carry. I had a few holsters for them but did not think they carried any better than most of my EDC guns, especially the Ruger LCP and Colt XSP, Sig P238 or even Sig P938. Their cross draw holster sounds good and looks cool but it does not conceal well at all. It is very noticeable that you have a gun under your shirt. They are pretty thick too.

For me they are Novelty guns. Good examples of the old Remington design. They also can shoot different calibers than most carry guns like .45 Colt.. .410 shotshell, 44 spl., etc. But you only get two shots. I would not feel well armed with just two shots. Having competed for many years I know that you can easily miss close targets under stress and in real life, those targets can move. I also learned from my two civilian experiences that bad guys often come in groups. The first time I was dealing with 3 men and the second time with two men. I had a 13 oz. .38 Spl +P in my pocket and felt safe. With a two shot derringer against 2 or 3 people, I would not feel very safe.

I think it makes a decent carjacking gun but so does a snub nose revolver, small .380 or 9mm. Even a small .45acp will make a good car gun. The Bond Arms guns are good snake guns. Load them with shot shell in a large caliber and you are good to go unless you are attacked by a snake gang. :)

They are not even good backup guns because they are heavy and bulky. I rather have a snub nose or LCP as a backup gun than a two shot anything. For some reason they market them thinking that have two big bullets will make up for have more small bullets. That is wrong thinking. First off a .22 to the head will stop a guy as much as a .45 to the head. A miss with a .45 is as good as a miss as a .22. Given that these small guns are difficult to shoot accurately under life and death stress, I think they are best used for fun guns. They are a lot of fun and as I used them, good for shooting up ammo you have for guns you no longer own.

If you want a small gun for a backup or even a bathing suit, take a look at the NAA mini revolvers. I sold my Bond Derringer for a NAA Pug with night sights in .22 magnum. It is a single shot too but it holds 5 and I have a laser on it. A .22 mag. is nothing to sneeze at today. They have hollow points that will expand with these small NAA revolvers now. You can even get one that has a swing out cylinder for faster reloading. This is what I use for a back up or to carry in a waterproof pocket of my bathing suit. A NAA mini revolver gives you absolutely no excuse to not carry a gun. You can hide it in a cigarette pack, tissue box, easily in a purse or pocketbook, and anywhere else. You can hide it in your hand as you walk through a dark parking lot at night. With a little practice you can learn to shot it accurately and fast. Add the laser to it and you have extended its useful range.

So there is my take on it and an alternate solution. The NAA mini revolvers come in many styles and are fun to collect. The Bond Arms are also fun but shooting the larger calibers from them is not fun for long. To buy a large Derringer in .380 or .22 is crazy because there are smaller/lighter guns that hold more of those rounds that conceal better.

That being said, I plan on buying another Bond Arms Derringer because I like to collect good examples of different types of guns. I do miss having my Derringer loaded with .410 shotshell in my desk draw or next to me wherever I sit. However, the new LCP II I got does a great job of that too. On the Plus side, a Derringer is safer to carry than even a DA revolver due to having to cock the hammer first. Then again the NAA is the same but just in a smaller caliber.

The Bond Arms derringer that I shot was heavy, awkward to handle, and unpleasant to shoot. I have shot derringers of other calibers and manufacturers but am not a fan.

The Bond is the best-made Remington-pattern over-under two-shot derringer on the market today.

It's also the biggest, bulkiest, and heaviest.

It is slow to fire, the sights are not among the best, the barrels are not particularly well-regulated together at much over 15 yards on a good day, the triggers are very heavy, and the gun is very slow to reload.

You CAN buy multiple caliber barrels easily switchable, which is nice, and you CAN buy some heavy-hitting calibers, which will not be fun to shoot.

Great snake guns.
Poor defensive choices.
Denis

Back