Bolt vs Lever

MINSH101

Is there any advantage gained by using a bolt action over a lever action for the same caliber? I have three weapons in .357 and would like to get a rifle that shots the same caliber. Ruger offers a bolt action .357 and there a few companies that provides a lever action rifle.

The usages i have in mind are the usual suspects: plinking, target, home defense when SHTF.

For your purposes I would recommend the faster cycling and faster handling lever action carbine.

There are also pump actions but they are less common.

4xszPpHl.jpg

hRxViw0l.jpg

Last edited:
Bolt action will likely be more accurate, lever action is faster to shoot. For .357 I would go lever personally.

All things such as barrel length being equal a bolt gun is lighter and at least as fast handling. Bolt guns will always be more accurate and more reliable. They are faster to reload and usually less expensive.

Rate of fire is way over stated. If you are in the military using covering fire where the goal is to throw as much lead down range in a short time period in a general direction it is possible to fire a lever gun a little faster. But we're talking a fraction of 1 second difference between the 2 actions for 3 rounds. I've done it in 2.1 seconds with a 308 bolt rifle, 1.8 seconds with a 30-30 lever and 1.5 seconds with a 44 magnum lever rifle.

If the goal is to fire 3 shots that all hit a deer size target at a specified range there is no difference in rate of fire. It takes longer to recover from recoil and get the sights back on target than it does to cycle either action.

The most efficient tool for the job is a bolt gun. But with pistol caliber cartridges like 357 the advantages just aren't that great. If you enjoy hunting with a lever action at 357 mag ranges there wouldn't be any real handicap. As ranges increase and the need for more powerful and accurate cartridges increases the lever action becomes more of a handicap.

levers and bolts

In apples to apples, bolts are thought of as more accurate and a bit stronger, ie, there are few lever action magnums, and nobody builds a lever action match/target rifle. From an engineering and machinist point of view (I'm neither) , the bolt is just stronger and a simpler design.

In the pistol calibers, little of that applies. The .357 does not operate at high enough pressures to gain any benefit from a bolt, and I doubt the Ruger 77/22 type action is as strong as a classic lugged Mauser style bolt anyhow. Stronger than a Win 92 or Marlin lever, , probably, but it won't matter given the pistol cartridge we're discussing. Given the effective range of the mag pistol cartridges, inherent accuracy is not an issue either. We're looking at a 100 yd game cartridge.

The Ruger bolt will scope easily. It will come with rings, or should, and they will clamp on Rugers scalloped receiver top w/o special bases. You can also scope a Marlin easily, although you will have to buy both rings and bases, but the Marlins are drilled and tapped to accept same. I have not examined a Henry, but I think they are most certainly drilled and tapped for bases and scopes.

You will not scope a Win 92 or Taurus/Rossi clone as easily. With top ejection, options are limited. You could go the Scoutscope route if that is acceptable. You might be able to go with some type of offset scope mount. I have not examined or shot the imports, perhaps they angle eject as the late Wincherster 94's were, but I don't think so.

If your eyes are good and can manage iron sights, or better still aperture/peep, you can effectively shoot the .357 within its effective range without scoping, which makes for a handy/tidy package.

There are some that will argue that an unscoped lever carbine in the Marlin or Win 92 variety carries easier than a bolt, with its flat stock bottom and protruding bolt knob, and I am inclined to agree. Both the levers have rounded lower receivers and the hand/thmb can wrap easily around. Scoping any of the bolts or levers makes for more awkward carry, period.

These days, many folks are suppressing the Ruger bolt...one cannot due that as easily with the lever carbines, and the look would be odd to most folks.

For a long time, a Marlin lever in .357 was my GP woods roaming rifle, and I am a big fan. I need a scope these days to shoot it as well as I used to, and I have refrained from that, as I like the classic, clean lines, without scope. I never did carry it much as I thought I would, paired with a revolver, but the option of doing so if I chose was attractive.

^^^ bamaranger conveys excellent points. Do you intend to scope it? That would play into considerations...

For a pistol caliber carbine, my money still goes with a good Lever rifle and iron sights for reasons given above. It's handy and compact.

Both are fun. Bolt is likely to be more accurate (free floated barrel and in most cases, one piece stock). For hunting, either is fine.

If my memory serves many years ago Layne Simpson had a contest between:
Lever action
Pump action
And a Bolt gun as far as speed for aimed shots.
If I remember the bolt won.:eek:
I was shocked at the time, anyone else seem to have read this besides me?
Thinking it was Shooting Times?

If you're going to put a scope on it get a bolt. If you're not get a lever. IMO a scope has no place on a lever action.

I liked the idea so much I have a Malin 1894 lever in .44 mag, and a Ruger Blackhawk in .44 mag.
Good combo.
I also have a semi-auto Ruger M44 (exactly the same size as a Ruger 10/22) in .44 mag.
I wish I'd picked up another M44 before they got so expensive, good ones a hatefully expensive now.

Several guys have done .357 or .45 Colt and they seem stupid happy with the combos.

I wish someone made a pump or lever .45 ACP rifle...

they must have had a one armed man shoot the pump, your finger stays on or near the trigger-sight picture not interrupted and your grip on the rifle doesn,t change as with a bolt- lever.

Already posted but I will add...

Bolt action "speed" and cycle depends on the action... bolt throw, travel, etc. For example, take and enfield and compare it to a mauser. They're both bolt action, but the enfield will smoke the mauser in making accurate hits with the same shooter. Same thing happens amongst lever action I'm sure. I don't have tons of experience with them all, but I have had experience with a lever Browning .22 that a Henry .22 could run circles around years ago.

Further, I find cycling a lever action while still shouldered easier. You have to interrupt sight picture but not as much. Also, quick shots on moving game where you must "track" and lead will almost assuredly be easier with a good lever action.

The results of this match in Canada found that pumps and levers were the fastest.

Mind you it was for medium and large bore cartridges.

https://www.canadiangunnutz.com/for...allenge-is-on!?highlight=dangerous+game+match

OK here is a draft of the rules for the dangerous game honour match.

If there are any suggestions or changes that you want for these rules, please let me know ASAP.

The winner will be based on the lowest score (group size (inches) x time (seconds)) for a rapid-fire, 3 round group, as many tries as you wish before the deadline of March 30, 2007, with any medium/big bore (.338 calibre or larger) rifle or shotgun (20 gauge or larger slugs only), loaded with full power ammunition at 25 yards, freehand standing or kneeling, no slings, any sights that you feel are appropriate for close range, dangerous game.

There will be an also-ran category in which ANY calibre may be used.

For those who have a lower tolerance for danger and better shooting skills, a 50 yard range can be used in a separate category from the 25 yard range.

Please post your results with: Rifle/shotgun model, calibre/gauge, bullet/slug weight and velocity (use the factory specs if you don't have a chrony or just guestimate), group size, time elapsed from first shot to last (3rd) and finally your score.

Eg.

BRNO 602 .375 H&H
300 gr Federal softpoint
2500 fps
Group size: 5.5"
Time: 4.2 seconds
Score: 23.1 (Hopefully I can do better than this! :D )

Post photos of your groups and links to videos of your performances if you can.

If you have access to an IPSC style timer, great, but otherwise have a partner time or video your string and time it off the video.

If you have any comments or tips (positive or negative) on your or your firearms performance, include that in your post eg. my Mossberg 500 had problems extracting empties etc. This info might be valuable to other users.

This will function on the honor system. And let's have some fun and make some noise!

Back