Bolt Diameter of a Win. M70, Extreme Weather in 30 06?

fenwayfan77

Inactive
Hello

I apologize if this has been answered in a prior thread. I performed a search with no success in finding the answer. I also couldn't find the answer online anywhere. I also called Winchester's customer service department, who didn't know the answer! Go figure. Does anyone know what the bolt diameter is on a Winchester Model 70 Extreme Weather chambered in 30 06? I would assume that most traditional, long action rifles have a bolt diameter of approximately .700 inches but i was trying to find out the exact measurement. I don't own the rifle as of yet and don't have a set of calipers. I'm looking at possibly purchasing the new Sinclair, Int. 2 piece cleaning rod guide shown here:

http://www.sinclairintl.com/.aspx/pid=54128/Product/SINCLAIR-TWO-PIECE-CLEANING-ROD-GUIDES

I called Sinclair and spoke with a representative who said that the new FN produced Model 70's might have a smaller bolt diameter, but he wasn't positive. If that is in fact true, then the above referenced rod guide will not fit properly. I know there are various specific, custom and adjustable rod guides available that would work perfectly well. I'm just curious as to whether this one would work. Thanks in advance.

I just measured several Winchester 70's. A 1980's PF in 30-06, a 2000 Classic in 30-06 and a 2009 EW in 308. My cheapo digital calipers varied by about .001"-.002" depending on where on the bolt I measured, but .696 was the number I came up with on all of them. I did get readings between .694 and .700 with my cheap calipers. Hope this helps.

JMR40

Thanks. Much appreciated. You went above and beyond and actually got the calipers out! So I guess that's close enough for me. I was thinking about getting the rod guides from Mike Lucas but then ran into the new 2 piece Sinclair ones. I'm pretty sure Mike Lucas' rod guides would be much better and more precise, but for half the cost, these look pretty decent.

Back