Bolt action rifles

RDF

I've notice when guestions are asked about which ones are the best(factory) for hunting,varminting or etc. The name Remmington, then Savage, seem to come up most often. Then Ruger and Winchester. What about these brands Marlin, Cz and some others that i haven't name. What's everbodys opinion?

[This message has been edited by RDF (edited January 28, 2000).]

There's a certain amount of "US-made first".

Remington makes a danged good gun.

Savage is real good for the money.

A lot of the new Rugers have "tort liability" triggers, so you gotta add $75 or so for a Timney trigger.

Winchester rifles are good.

Shooters are a real independent, persnickety bunch.

"Which is better, a Ford or a Chevy?"

FWIW, Art

My workhorse for over 20 years now has been a full military '98 Mauser. This is a time-proven action, and you won't go wrong. Some big advantages are that they are inexpensive, and built to last.

Amen! I don't know how many times I started saving up for a "new" rifle and ended up with an old Mauser. I spent the left over $$ on tools, reloading components (although, I don't know where it all went) and accessories. I like doodling with guns, so I don't mind the old surplus Mausers. "Modernized" and refurbed Mausers are a great deal too.

Paul Mauser and John Browning had it together.

[This message has been edited by Mykl (edited January 30, 2000).]

Hi, guys,

No problem with buying a Mauser 98 and using as is or with a minimum of work. But, unless you are a gunsmith who doesn't count the cost of his labor, having an ex-military Mauser worked over to be the equivalent of a Remington 700/Winchester 70/etc. will cost at least as much as the new sporting rifle and a lot more than a used one.

True, buying the sporter takes away a lot of fun, but for some folks, that is not the prime consideration.

Jim

Here's what I think, having owned and used them all at one time or the other.

From best to, ehem, "less best"....

1) Winchester Model 70. Attractive, accurate, easy to shoot, adjustable trigger, and an American classic. Excellent value for the money.

2) Ruger Mod. 77. I particularly like the newer ones (Mk II). The wood has become very beautiful, the triggers are much nicer and the sights are actually usable (express).
Excellent value for the money.

3) Remington. All I said about Winchester minus the looks. I don't like the 1950-like white line spacers or squarish fore-ends that Remington somehow still hangs on to.

4) Savage. A cheaper line, but still excellent out of the box.

5) Surplus rifles (Mauser 96, 98, P14 and 17, Mod 1903). They worked 100 years ago, they still work now.

------------------
If you are younger than 20 and not a Liberal, you have no heart.

If you are older than 20 and STILL a Liberal, you have no brain.

A friend of mine tells me she saw Ruger 77s for sale for $395 all weather and $ 415 for wood. Is this a good price?

Back