bolt action muzzle loader question

In theory the in-lines are supposed to have better ignition. I have had a friend who has problems with fouling crud blocking the channel so after 5 or 6 shots he has to do a major cleaning. The other problem with in-lines is the fact you are stuck with conicals as bullet selection. The twist is too fast for round ball. Depends on what you want to do with it. Don't believe the commercials about high power rifle performance . . . it aint going to happen.

The bolt action is a marketing gimick for the Savage and Remington folks trying to get you to spend big bucks on a "model 700" inline rifle. The bolt will in no way effect accuracy or reliability. It touches nothing important.

Try and find some friend to shoot different types of ML guns before you decide which one to buy. Don't rule out the "Hawken" sidelock types. Good value to be had and they are oftem mor reliable than in-lines.

Jim

I wouldn't call any major manufacturer's adaption of a bolt action to muzzle loading a gimmicking. Rather, they're trying to gain a market share of a growing market.

BTW, was told at Remington that they use the same steel for their barrels on the muzzleloaders as they do on the regular cartridge guns.

Turning to the question, the advantage of the bolt action in-line is quicker lock time. However, even if one was offered cheap, I still perfer the older Plains style or Long Rifle (or even military musket) look. Curmudgeon me.

Both ignition systems on sidelocks and inlines are reliable.

The main problem is not the reliability of the action, but rather the source of ignition. Thats where inlines gain an advantage. Many models can fire a 209shotshell primer, musket cap, or standard #11 primer with a nipple/adapter change.

If you want the advantages of a hotter ignition system but prefer a sidelock, TC makes the Firestorm. This rifle can take advantage of hotter ignition systems and can utilize the Pyrodex pellets reliably.

Good Shooting
RED

Back