Bolt action bullpup?

scouter27

Are ther any, in a calibre less than .50 BMG and less expensive than the DSR-1? I would like to get one in .308 win if possible, but I don't want to spend >$7000. Thanks

About 50 years ago, these had a brief popularity with those who hunted varmints from a vehicle.

The work is in the inletting and bedding of the stock, the drilling and tapping for scope mounts, and a connecting link between the stock-mounted trigger and the regular trigger.

I haven't kept up with info on who is doing such, nowadays.

Art

A guy at the local range has bullpup stock for a Mohawk Rem. 600 in .308. Pretty interesting looking, and supposedly quick to operate with a left hand under operation, with right hand never leaving a firing grip. I'll bring my camera to teh range next time, if i can catch him, i'll snap a few shots for ya!

Why?, I like the way they feel. That is the pest I can explain it.

That would be great, chiz. And If you see him, ask if he remember where he got it or who made it. Thanks

I once saw a bullpup rifle made from a Savage bolt-action pistol. It was for sale at a shop in Pelham, NH. It was kind of crude looking but very cool. I'd bet that a good smith could make something really nice from one of those.

Hmmmm...

Imagine, a 1000yd tactical rifle with the size of an assault rifle....

Full length barrel- power and accuracy with the handiness of a short rifle.... good enough reasons for me !!! ...just as long as someone can come up with a great feeling trigger (which is probably the biggest obstacle).

I wrote a short story on another board some months ago. My hero's custom gun was a Rem 700-based .300 Winchester Short Magnum bullpup w/ a 21" barrel...

Options

If you want o build one, I might suggest buying a k31, its streight pull bolt could be modified without damage I suspect, as part of making the stock and changing the bolt handle you coul in effect extend it forward past the action parallel to the irons. The advantages is this is very accurate very affordable bolt action in a decent cartridge. The custom stock would need some sort of captive notch for that. The platform uses magazines or stripper clips(not internal) so not retinal damage. Use a amount of steel there as bals shield if your worried. It could double as a diverter. The stock would need to be bolted to receiver if it provided the scope mount, irons would be useless now so might aswell be sacrificed. Some would call this sacrilige on vintage gun, but if it was done well, it might be worth it.

Honestly, the biggest issue will be the trigger and safety. Relaying a trigger isn't had, doing it smoothly is. That why many Bullpups triggers are very unpopular. The RFB may have a work around, but careful tuning a dual floated relay bar between you new trigger to the old encased one. It would be some considerable work to do this all right, but not ridiculous. Te safety is very far back on this gun, and will be encased in a stock, a relay bar might be goo there to so that not only is it accessible but closer to the operators hand. That is the advantage of this rifle, its easy to convert its motions and linkages, in a good gun. The stocks aren't work of art to sacrifice either.

Last edited:
I can imagine a Blaser action bullpup w/left hand operation, AI style stock, Remington electric trigger. That would be pretty cool.

Indeed it would.

For awhile, I was fired up about acquiring a Desert Tactical Arms SRS rifle, until I realized that it's about 5 lbs heavier than it really needs to be.

Shorter is good. What's not to like, other than stiffer trigger?

Trigger

In the end the trigger doesn't have to be stiffer. Keltec found a way around it, its not really the weight thats annoying so much as the roughness, some people like heavy triggers, and if there smooth you really don't think there heavy to the touch. Notched plate around the magazine area might work decently. Bullpups get a bad rap for triggers due to the trends on how to make or convert one, but it can be fixed. Not easy to fix after the fact... But even jsut a tuning can help. From what ive heard Tavor users thought the inaccuracy issues stemmed from tis bad trigger(typical) but then a aftermarket cleaned that up and it still had issues, point being the triggers module can be cleaned up making system less of burden over all. So having the trigger int he original rifle softened and re calibrated for the new bull pup once built might be worthwhile as much as designing a very pistol like transfer for the new trigger. The mag release might be another concern.

Purpose design it is really the best option. Take a engineers designing class and do some independent study on strengths of materials. Then you can either build it for personal use only, with all NFA regs minded, and never sell it. You could also do a type 7 ffl i believe then you could manufacture and sell it(once serialized). Machining can be tricky. If the price is right I've looked at additive. Check the regs to be clear and check the NRA or someone reliable for a translation of the legal speak, its not very clear.

Matveicat, welcome to TFL. It looks like you found one of our threads on Google and made an account here in order to reply to it. And that's completely fine, but this thread is 13 years old. Now, there aren't any forum rules against resurrecting old threads, but it's usually pointless to try to give advice to someone who asked a question over a decade ago. And even if he remembers this thread and still could use some advice, in this case the OP hasn't been active on TFL for over six months. And judging by his post count, he's not very active here in general, so I doubt he'll come back and see this thread any time soon.

I've noticed a lot of these old threads are brought back to life by newcomers. Probably because the thread pops up on a google search, and people register here just to comment on it without looking at the date of the op. Maybe in these 13 years the op finally found what he wanted. :D

Back