Bolt action 7mm

bloodtrail

Once upon a time I had a Winchester Model 70 wood/stainless 7mm.
Like a fool I sold it to scratch up some money to buy another bow.
Dumb plan.
Now a few years later Im getting the itch to get another 7mm rifle.
Whats everyone's thought on the best "reasonable" priced 7mm?
I have a 1966 Colt Government Nickle .45 that I'm toying with trading or selling to get the rifle.
Maybe another dumb idea of mine?!?! :eek:

The new FN produced 70's are the best USA made rifles right now and are reasonably priced for what you get. I really like the EW rifles. http://www.winchesterguns.com/products/catalog/detail.asp?family=001C&mid=535110 Street price is around $1,000. If that is over your budget the stainless Super Shadow is the same rifle in a cheaper stock and without the barrel fluting. http://www.winchesterguns.com/products/catalog/detail.asp?family=001C&mid=535135 Priced around $700-$750. A couple hundred less in blue. http://www.winchesterguns.com/products/catalog/detail.asp?family=001C&mid=535114

Haunt the gun shows, there are a lot of 7mms, .280 Rem, 7-08 Rem, 7x57 and the less common .284 Win, all are great rounds, even 7 Mags if that is what you want, find a clean used rifle of the style/model you want and strike a deal. I like the "middle aged" rifles better anyway, just check the action and check the barrel for pits or damage. If you aren't sure of your ability to judge, get a buddy who knows more and pay his way into the gun show, usually works.

I've been there having to trade/sell one firearm to get another, sometimes that's just how it is, but I would hate to sell/trade the 1911 if it had any sentimental value at all, if not and it has some good selling/trading value why not.

7mm?

As in 7x57??

Recent magazine articles have inclined me to look at the 7m-08. Which would do nothing that my various .308 rifles could not do as well.

But....were I to buy a 7mm-08, I'd look at the Rem Model 7.

I picked up an old 93 ??? Mauser in 7 X 57 that had been professionally sporterized like in the 60's or 70's, bolt turned, aftermarket trigger etc... looked like a new rifle, got it a couple years ago, for $150.00... still one of my best buys ever

Take a look at Savage. I own a 110 and while it might be some what ugly, Savage has a well deserved reputation for out of the box accuracy.

shoulda known

The 7mm Mag is popular here for green fields and ROW shooting. In the big deer lease I was in for quite a few years, the 7mm Mag was the most popular caliber in the club. We had several powerline and gas ROW's and the Mag was right at h ome. Most of the guys did not shoot so good though.

I have a Sako Grey Wolf 7RM which is very well built and a one hole shooter at 100yrds with Hornady SuoerPerformance 139gr or Federal 150gr Ballistic Tips. I have taken deer at 400yrds with no problems, dropped in their tracks, and the gun is capable at much farther ranges, I just have'nt had the chance to strech it out yet. Reasonably priced? IMO yes for what you get.

Back