Bolt action .308 for under $600

Mylhouse

Greetings and Salutations!
I am looking for an ACCURATE bolt action .308 that preferably takes a detachable mag. I have looked at the Savage Scout. I have also seen a Russian "Sniper" that came with 2 five round magazines and a PSO-2 scope (I think) for $459. I believe it is made in Izhmash. Does anyone know anything about these rifles and what kind of accuracy I can expect? Also, do I need a heavy or bull barrel or will the standard barrel suffice? Remember, I'm trying to keep it under $600. Thanks for your help. Damn this site is useful!

"Trust me, I know what I'm doing!" Sledgehammer ;)

savage scout. takes det. mags and comes with sight's, so untill you get a scope at least you can go shooting. priced around $400

Mylhouse:
What are you trying to do with your rifle? You ask about what contour barrel would be best. For inherent accuracy, there is no reason why a whippy little lightweight sporter barrel shouldn't shoot well under 1 MOA, given cooldown between shots. If you're talking about hot and heavy shooting sessions and consider .5 MOA to be your goal in accuracy, you're going to need a heavier barrel.

Savage Scout looks neat. Savages are pretty much all bargains 110, 116, etc. Nothing wrong with the offerings from Remington or Winchester, either, and you can buy a standard Win. M-70 for well under $500. Rem 700's will run right near $500, and remember that you'll still need a sighting system, a good sling, and ammo to develop with.

Don't forget to consider used-- If you make it clear that you're ready to spend some money, you can get some very, very nice rifles for that price, already set up.

------------------
Will you, too, be one who stands in the gap?

Matt

If you are looking for a good rifle in 308 I would seriously look into Savage Arms Co. they make some really good guns at a relatively cheap price, and as far as I know they are inexpensive. I saw a really nice looking 308 bolt kevlar stock for almost $375. If I hadn't just picked up a new pistol I would have given it really serious consideration.

I swear by Savage. I have owned two, a 70's model 110b in 30-06 that STILL shoots 3/4 moa (bought it for $100 used) and a 116fsak 30-06 with a compact fluted stainless barrel that shoots 1/2 moa. (bought new for $400)

Savage makes a damn fine bolt rifle make NO mistake.

Dr.Rob

Some guy at the range last weekend told me and a friend that you can build a remington 700 for less then the cost of buying one whole. buy the stock of your dreams, and then get the match barrel and reciever from Remington. Need the FFl for the reciever, but then you don't have the extra stock laying around when you change stocks

------------------
It ain't mah fault. did I do dat?

Ave et Salve! I'm building - having built - a .308. After looking over new winchester 70's and Remington 700's which, as all imported guns cost double here in Argentina the end price is way over $600. First step was the optics. Expensive any way you look at it, I found Swarovski both available and within budget. I have a Mauser 94, in 7.65 Arg. (of course, they are on home ground here) - built as a 'sporting model' with a good walnut stock. The next step is to change the barrel for a Match Grade Shilen in 308, probably use the meduium Redefield mounts for the scope, anf then a Timney trigger should do the job.
I'll make another post on this 'project' but methinks it may be turning out close to your specs, Mylhouse

Peter Knight

I am not sure any more (if I ever was) exactly what constitutes a "scout rifle". At one time it meant a reliable, reasonably accurate rifle that could take a beating and not cause heart failure in the owner everytime it bumped something. Now, it seems it is a piece of high tech art that costs two grand or more and is meant to hang on the wall to prove the owner's ability to hunt money.

If my original concept holds, and you are not absolutely devoted to detachable mags, how about one of the many .308 caliber 1898 Mausers around (Israeli would be best), and put some of the rest of the money into a good fiber glass stock. Add a rugged mount and scope, and buy some stripper clips for rapid reloads. And if it falls out of the Jeep, you pick it up and dust it off without getting it wet with tears.

Jim

Back