Boken Bulldog 44 spl snubbie

pcxxxx42

I recently acquired a pair of new Charter Arms Bulldogs in 44 SPL.

The trigger pulls were awesome in both single and double action for both weapons. The blue/black snubbie finish showed tool marks around the frame. Not good, but this ain't no Smith & Wesson. The workmanship was acceptable.

The 4" or 5" stainless "target model" with adj. sights was absolutely gorgeous!

Handloads; 5 grains Solo 1000 with an H&G 241 fb bullet cast with wheel weights, sized to 0.430 with Magma Engr. Blue Lube. Around 202 grains, lubricated.

This is a pussycat load. These revolvers are rated +P?

The sixth round blew the barrel off of the snubbie.

I did a reality check? ~800 FPS is mild for a 44 spl. So I shot the rest in the target model. They clocked slightly higher in the longer barrel, but were still mild by any measure.

How do I approach Charter Arms?

If they tell me to stuff it because I used handloads, I will not be a happy camper.

I have Labradar data for all shots of the same load in both revolvers.

They remain, mild, esp. for a "so called +P weapon?"

What say y'all?

AAA_fEZpbFSKWYD430LCxidQa

The image of the busted bulldog din't stick here, so find it at my DropBox account?

https://www.dropbox.com/preview/FA/...ubbie boken 20200125_182215.jpg?role=personal

Sounds like a defective gun. Send it back. I don't see a problem with your load off hand. A cast bullet at 800 should be fine. That's a fast powder, but blowing the barrel off is not what you would expect were it over pressure. I am not aware of an "official" +P designation for 44 Special, whatever Charter says. I do not shoot "Skeeter" loads in mine; those go in the Blackhawk. I load Unique or Power Pistol. Good luck on getting this made right.

Thanks for your reply.

Since the "snubbie" has such a short barrel, I chose the fastest burning propellant on hand, Scot Solo 1000, assuming that this propellant would burn the fastest with the least fireball out the muzzle. There are likely newer propellants with less flash that would be preferred, but I have LOADS of Solo 1000 and Pearl Scott. Long story.

Charter Arms does note these as "+P" rated, but that one will not notice a difference until it is fired in a 5"+ barrel.

Makes sense to me.

I'm not familiar with the current CA Bulldogs. My last Bulldog had a sleeve over a straight rifled barrel. Did you barrel completely blow out of the frame or was it just the outside part?

Start by reading Charter's warrantee. Current version of which doesn't seem to be on-line. Old versions say nothing about the ammo used. It might now that Marlin/Remington owns 'em.
I'm not seeing any .44 Special load data for Solo 1000. However, velocity isn't the criteria for a hot load. Pressure is. Mind you, 800 FPS with a cast 240 is a Start to mid range load with Hodgdon powders. Max loads go to 13,800 CUP so I don't think you'll have any issues.
My boss in the gun shop had one years ago. At one time he loaded some very hot 265's, I think it was, that cracked the factory wood grips. Didn't bother the revolver itself.

C.A. is one of the best customer care service departments in the industry. this doesn't mean they will fix it right the 1st time though. however, they will repair and return the gun quickly.

My 'period correct' Scot loading manual puts a 215 grn lead bullet at 5.1 max grains Solo 1000. The stuff meters well in my Dillon 550 (I've loaded tens of thousands of 45 acp with the same machine and propellent), and my bullet was around 202 grans. Good to go.

Last edited:
Whoa! That blown cylinder is a change your panties kind of event!

You think it might have been a double charge?

My barrel just went up in the air and tagged my left shoulder. I thought somebody had tapped me, and was not real happy to have that happen when shooting. I turned my head around and the people behind me pointed out the barrel at my feet.

Whoa! That blown cylinder is a change your panties kind of event!

You think it might have been a double charge?

It was loaded for a Smith and Wesson 624 custom shop. It’s the same as a 44 mag with a special cylinder.

There were 3 rounds, I pulled the last one apart and found 9 grains of something. We will never know what it was.

My Dad left me the 624.

David

Specified load should have been within standard pressure limits. Old Scot data shows max of 5.1gr. of Solo 1000 with a 215 cast in the 44 Special. So 5.0gr behind a 200gr. should be OK.

Possibility of double charge cannot be eliminated unless perhaps there was chrono data showing ~800 fps for the specific shot that broke the gun.

I bought my Bulldog in 1976. Fired one box of 246 grain lead roundnose factory ammo to generate some brass, then started reloading because it was so much cheaper back then. In short order I split the cylinder down the side of the chamber shooting 8.5 grains of Unique under a 180 grain JHP. This was early in my reloading experience. Sent it back to Charter and they sent it back with a new cylinder plus a new pair of rubber grips to replace the original wood stocks.

Back