Boiled Linseed Oil finish

jsnwhite

Inactive
First time post -- long time reader. I just wanted to share my results with using a boiled linseed oil finish on a stock because I spent a lot of time reading on here from others.

It's an original stock from a T/C Hawken kit, first or second year of production. I got it in a trade, and it was just black with dust from sitting in the corner of a garage for years. I don't know if it was ever even shot.

Anyway, I cleaned it up and sanded it and started rubbing it with BLO...last September. I'm in central GA, so low humidity is usually not on my side. This winter was a 80 degree monsoon season, but the past few months had some nice dry, breezy days to let it cure. After it had really soaked in, I rubbed in 3-4 fingertips worth of BLO once or twice a week or so. I finally realized that the "rub until your hand burns and it's gone" isn't necessary if the weather is right. Rub the tiny amount all over let it sit, then go back now and then to give it a once over until it's dry. You're just trying to keep it thin and spread around, not bake it on with friction heat. After it started building up, I might have waited 2-3 weeks between coats sometimes. Then, occasionally, I soaked a piece of #0000 steel wool in oil and "polished" it lightly to level things, then back at it. I just wanted to get a traditional finish on there.

Now, I couldn't be more pleased with it. Besides the look, it just has a warm feel that you can't get from poly or lacquer. The hickory ramrod came out nicely too, it really soaked in the yellow from the oil.

I'm including a link to a Google+ album because the file sizes seem to be to big for the forum to upload. Again, I just wanted to share my experiences because opionions about it online seem to be pretty wide across the board -- love it or hate it. You can get a fairly hard, built-up finish from BLO, it just might take 8-10 months to do it. :D

https://goo.gl/photos/wkMnc1aqWUrGox367

I did that some in the beginning. I also added a dollop of finishing wax disolved in the mix with the BLO & mineral spirits after reading some of the old school finishing recipes. I didn't maintain that formula throughout, but I think it helped build up the coats.

Very nice and my compliments

jsn
I compliment you on your work and patience. You have come a long way and can tell that it was a labor of love. Also saved a fine SideLock. I'd be interested to know the condition of the bore. Looks like you have a Renegade as opposed to the TC-Hawken. This one is definitely a pre-stamp. There will be additional satisfaction when you shoot it. ........ :)

Very nice and;
Be Safe !!!

Thank you! I had forgotten about the Renegade. I looked it up last fall and found that, but it slipped my mind. The barrel markings only say
Thompson / Center Arms
Rochester, New Hampshire
CAL50

The serial number stamp is K2474, hence knowing it was a kit gun. The nipple looks brand new -- clean steel -- and there is no scorching whatsoever on the wood or barrel around it. The guy I got it from has had it for 25 years or more, and he's never shot it either....got it in a trade with some other guns. When I got it and cleaned the barrel, it had some rust, but no residue or gunk. It only took a few minutes to get a clean patch. Like I said, I don't think it has ever been shot. If no other clue to the age, I don't think anyone has been supplying wood like that on a standard kit gun in quite a while. It has turned out to be the prettiest stock I've ever had! If you look at the picture set, the first few with the black background show the grain more clearly, but the last one on the carpet floor is closer to the tone it looks like in person. I haven't shot it yet either, but I'm definitely planning on getting some round balls for a deer this fall.

Pretty stock. Don't think they make 'em like that any more.
Only issue with BLO is that it requires constant attention. Even when rubbed in. Plain floor wax, from Messer's Johnson and Johnson, applied according to the directions on the can will help though.
Best finish is pure tung oil applied just like you did the BLO. Gives a hard water proof finish that doesn't need constant attention.
"...poly or lacquer..." Don't belong on gun stocks. Especially nice gun stocks like your's.

Back