Body Armor for a Big Guy

walkanator1

Inactive
Hey all! Im new here at TFL.

I was hoping for a little guidance when it comes to body armor, hard plates specifically. I am a pretty big guy (6'7", 320 lbs, 53" chest 44" waist). I have a question pertaining to plate types. With my size, I have some concern about a shooters cut style not adequately covering my vitals. Would a regular square cut be better? By better I mean will I still be able to shoot properly and without the corners digging into my outer pecs and shoulders. Additionally, are there any suggestions as to a good plate carrier that could fit a square plate on the front (preferably up to a level 3 rifle plate) that could comfortablely fit a guy my size?

Looking forward to hearing from you guys and to join the community!

I wear a T.G. Faust contour (I think) vest 40 hours a week. I am 6'1" 250 lb. I do not, however use a hard plate. Shooting is not a problem. The vest does press into my shoulder when I shoot, but not enough to bother me. I wouldnt shoot in it for fun, but its worth is when my life is on the line. Estimating from the size of the plate pocket on the carrier, it would not affect how the vest flexes while shooting, but I could be wrong. I have to wear what I was issued, but if you are buying your own, find a store where you can try some on in person and see how the feel in your shooting stance. None will be very comfortable... if they were, it would be at the expense of protection.

Dragon Skin....

I've heard from a few sources that Dragon Skin is considered "the best". It was scrutinized by several military sources(US Air Force OSI, DARPA, DA, etc) but the guy who invented & engineered the military's flack vests have the newer Dragon Skin lines high marks.
The late Chris Kyle who wrote American Sniper said he also wore Dragon Skin during his SEAL deployments in SW Asia.
Second Chance, a Safariland company started by patrol officer who was shot on duty in Detroit MI is well noted. The company had a big scandal with some federal contracts & the CEO/owner but I think it was resolved.
The guy was so impressed with his designs he would shoot himself with a revolver during product demos! :eek:

I'm a larger guy too & have put off buying any class III sets but those are the brands Id check first. Note; keep in mind that body armor does not last forever. Most fabrics wear out after 5/7 years regardless of how often you clean them or how much you use it. Galls sells cases & after market cleaning items.

Clyde
www.policehq.com www.qmuniforms.com www.galls.com www.safariland.com www.uscav.com www.glockstore.com

Nemesiss-I will take a look at the TG Faust. Unfortunately, I dont have any places anywhere within reasonable range to try on all kinds of vests. I might have to make a day trip out of it. But thanks for the input.

ClydeFrog: Im sad to say that dragon skin body armor is well outside of my budget. If I had the money to throw around that would actually be the first place id look. From what little ive seen on it, its protection capabilities are pretty impressive for the amount of mobility (while still restrictive) it grants you.

Back