Bobcat conversion

Hdonly

I picked up a .50 Bobcat several years ago from a friend that needed a little quick cash. Never fired it. It just sat in the gunrack. I guess mainly because I just don't like plastic stocks. Recently found an old friend that enjoys black powder shooting. He has an 1863 Springfield that was made from some original and some more modern parts. I decided to pick up a wood stock and see if I could put the metal works from the Bobcat in the wood stock. Took some refitting and cutting, sanding and file work, but It came together pretty well I think. The barrel channel was 7/8" Bobcat barrel is 15/16. The trigger guard had to be cut off the trigger modified some. Bought a brass trigger guard in the rough that had to be modified and polished. That took a while as all finishing was done by hand. It turned this gun into one I really enjoy shooting now.

Attachments

• 450724.jpg
    450724.jpg
    41 KB · Views: 140
  • P6261130b.resized.JPG
    P6261130b.resized.JPG
    238.4 KB · Views: 115
  • P6261129b.resized.JPG
    P6261129b.resized.JPG
    118.8 KB · Views: 518
Nice Work !!!

I don't see a question in here but if you are just showing us you project, I have to compliment you as you have put it closer to being; "In-The-Spirit". Very nice work and looking forward to your next project. We use the same model to teach Hunter Safety, M/L's ....... :)

Be Safe !!!

It looks GREAT! Nice work! Although I can see a purpose for a light weight side lock, as is the Bobcat in factory trim. Not my cup of tea but I cam see a purpose for them. The ole TC Hawken or GPR gets heavy pretty quick on a lengthy woods walk. BUT when it comes time to bust that cap unsupported all that weight makes me smile. [emoji41]

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

If you were low on funds or didn't want to invest a lot of cash in black powder until you tried it , the Bobcat was a great way to go about it. I paid $69.00 for one years ago so I could go BP deer hunting with a friend . I had never done it before. That little light weight Bobcat really performed well. I was thinking about something similar to what you did , but never seemed to get around to it . Your efforts paid off nicely!

Thank you all for the compliments. I was just so happy that it turned out as it did that I just wanted to see what others thought. I too can see the use of the Bobcat as it is. I just like metal and wood in a rifle. It is just more fun to shoot when you like the way it looks and feels.I have shot it more in the last few months than I did in the several years I owned it in it's original form. I used to own an Old Army in the early 1980's. Sold it for some reason that I don't understand now. This rifle has really gotten me interested again in black powder shooting. Thanks again all.

You just proved that you can take one ugggly dog and turn him into a show dog.
I've always felt that plastic stocks on a traditional C&B rifle should be outlawed by the feds,
Nice job. I like it.

Back