Bob Wheeler inquiry on Astra caliber

Status
Not open for further replies.
I received an email inquiry as to the caliber of an Astra pistol, model unidentified. An attempt was made to respond but the email was returned to me. Thus, this is posted in public in hopes that the inquirer will find it.

The gist of my response is that it is difficult to ascertain the caliber without the model number, markings or examination of the actual pistol itself. However, it was mentioned that the 9mm Parabellum seemed too small.

As a precaution, it is best to take firearms of unidentified caliber to a reputable gunsmith who can: (1) identify the caliber; (2) determine whether it is safe to shoot. If no gunsmith or knowledgeable collector is in your area, then a chamber cast may be in order (use Cerrosafe from Brownells - instructions are included with purchase). The casting may be measured and the measurements compared to the dimensions given in a loading manual.

Now that safety and precautionary material have been set aside, some meat and potatoes:

Astra was formed by the union of Don Juan Pedro de Unceta-Baerenechea Cendoya and Don Juan Esperanza. Originally, their firm produce firearms on contract for other companies.

The first gun to bear the Astra name was the Model 1911; not a copy of the American 1911 but based on the 1903 Browning. The Astra 1911 was available in 6.35mm and 7.65 Browning. In 1920, the Model 200, a copy of the Browning 1906 was introduced. The Model 400 (produced from 1921-1945 and also known as Modelo 1921) and its shortened version, the Model 300 (1923-47) followed. The Model 300 was availabe in 7.65 or 9mm Browning. The Model 600 (1944-45), a 9mm Parabellum version of the Model 400, was bought in large numbers by the Germans during WWII. The most famous Astras were the 900 series which bore a stronger outer resemblence to the M1896 Mauser (Broomhandle).

I suspect that since the 9mm is too short, and your gun was produced prior to the larger 900 series, that the caliber is 9mm Browning (aka: 9mm Browning Long, 9mm Swedish Model 1907). The semi-rimmed straight wall case is 20 mm long, overall length is about 27.5mm. It was first produced by Belgium prior to WWI.

Again, I urge caution and your firearm should be subject to a hands on examination by an expert. Email and postings such as this won't do it justice. Enjoy and stay safe.

------------------
Vigilantibus et non dormientibus jura subveniunt

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back