Boar meat

rjv140

I just got back from an alabama hog hunt. i shot a 160lbs boar on the first night. i just finished cleaning up the meat and putting it in my freezer. i have the 2 hind quarters, 2 front shoulders, back roast, and the ribs all in the freezer. i never had hog meat. i was wondering what i must do to the meat before i cook it? how i should cook the meat? and what parts should i take to a butcher to make into sausage, kilobasi, or etc?

please advise.

Hi you need to send the meat to me Ill process and sample for you. I will be able to send you about 1lb of bacon back:D

WildheywaitisboarkosherAlaska

Eghad gave a good link RJ. Hindquarters= roast in the crock pot or dutch oven with a packet of lipton onion soup mix. Front shoulders = sausage. Back strap, aaahhh, that = pork steak grilled, fried or any which way, hard to go wrong there.
Last but not least, my favorite, ribs on the grill in foil, add your favorite spice, soy sauce, worshire, butter, brown sugar and dr. pepper. I have to stop now or start rummaging in the freezer for some of that.

Boar meat has got to be the smelliest stuff around. The smell will last all the way to the plate. I've heard of soaking in a brine or vinegar solution, but I would certainly try to get that smell out of the meat before its cooked. At least that's my experience in the lone star state.

Sows on the other hand do not have the same problem.

Boar meat just depends on who prepares it....take your timeprepping it and do it right and cook it slowly thats some deelicous stuff :D

I know when I make pulled pork I cook it slowly for about 10-12 hours in crock pot type cooker and 16 hours on the smoker till it just falls of the bone...

rjv,
They've given you some great recipes. That hog is a good size for eating, way to go. As long as he wasn't feasting on wild onions or garlic or a trash dump, he should be very tasty. Just don't overcook it as it gets tough and dried out. Use a meat thermometer and pull it from the heat when it hits around 153-155 degrees. Let it set for 10-15 minutes and the temp will rise to 163-165 degrees and the juices will also be absorbed into the meat.

Back