Boar hunting in Tenessee

Casey

Hello all.

I am planning on going on one of the boar hunts in Tenessee this fall. I did a boar hunt many years ago in Turkey and used a 12 gauge semi-auto.

I have thought about using a rifle this time instead. What would be a good rifle/caliber? I have thought about a western style lever action carbine, but in what caliber?

Any ideas or suggestions are appreciated.

Thanks.

Casey

Hey Casy, was that Turkey hunt one of Bob Kern's?

Any good centerfire from .243 up works fine. Use good bullets and get plenty of practice shooting from field positions..

Giz

Stopping Power!

Considering the heavy cover in which you'll be hunting, a handgun wouldn't be out of order. I hunt with a .Browning '78 in .45-70, and either a .45 Super or a .41 Magnum as a backup. One of Marlin's .45-70 carbines would be great. I've seen 300# hybred boar with 13" tusks!

As for muzzleloaders, think big! I personally recommend an Enfield or Springfield Carbine in .69 caliber. Why? Not because it uses a big bullet. Not because it's short and handy. Not because it's quick to reload. Why then? BECAUSE YOU CAN PUT A BAYONET ON IT!

In fact, a friend of mine says that the only muzzleloading rifle, with which he'll hunt boar, is a Parrot!

Yr. Obt. Svnt.

Anything 30 caliber or above will be fine for boar hunting. A 45-70 Marlin Guide gun would do just fine.

I hunt in the Tellico area and have known some people to even kill them with a .30 M1-Carbine. But I prefer something with a little more punch.

Back