Boar hunt

ammo.crafter

I have been boar hunting for many years and enjoy it very much.

As I get older, I find my eyesight is not as sharp as it was in my youth.

I plan to hunt with my Contender in .357 Maximum with a 14 inch barrel.

I have a scope on the gun at present but finding the cross hairs and fcusing on the animal takes more time than I am comfortable with.

I use red dots on all my competition handguns with great success and was wondering if a red dot would be suitable on the Contender for piggies as well.

Thanks for the input.

I am changing my 460 over from scope to red dot. I have the problem of getting on target quickly with the scope. Like you I have red dots on my 1911 and 22/45. I have found the cheep red dot on the 22/45 to be quite accurate at 100yds. I don't think you will be shooting hogs beyond 100yds with 357max.

Yes they will work if you get a good one. I've had the Burris fast fire on my ruger sbh hunter for 2 years. Around 500 rounds of 44 mag and it's still dead on. Only problem is forgetting to tighten the set screw back before shooting after you loosen it to adjust. I'm sure leupold and others are better than the Burris but I'm happy with mine.

A good red dot or illuminated reticle should work well for you. I like the smaller red dots, turned up brighter for short range work and turned down a bit for shooter greater distances.

Back