Boar, 308 enough??

twoblink

Got a friend in TX, has wild boars in the backyard; big ones, maybe 400lbs (snout's about 18inches to 2 feet) he says my 308 isn't enough to take one down?? BS, or I need more firepower??

Shot and killed with a 180 nosler from a .308 at 15 feet or so through the shoulder. Enough said.;)

Attachments

• niceboar.jpg
    niceboar.jpg
    21.1 KB · Views: 899
MLC,
You talkin about the dead hog or the hog holding the gun?:D

Yeah we hunt them year round no bag limit no closed season and no other rules per say. We do have to have a small game license to hunt them.

I usually kill between 50 and a 100 hogs per year.

I've about decided that the most reliable way to take hog is to put a single round into the ear. I've seen a 250-300 lb sow keep on chugging after being hit with a 165g '06 to the rear of the lungs.

But all seem to fall to a shot to the ear. I know two guys whose favorite hog rounds are .22-.250, employed in this way.

Last hog I saw taken, though, (last week) was a 200 lb sow to a blast of 3" magnum 12 ga. 000 buckshot to the midsection. (There were a couple of pass-throughs, to my surprise.)

I would personally consider a .308 to be plenty for any hog.

Looks like that Steyr scout rifle put that bigun down real nice. When I used a .308 20" ultralight rifle on boar hunts I used 180 Nosler partitions and they punch 3/4" hole clean thru from any angle ,used Win 748 in L.C. brass with 2660fps at muzzle. :)

Many folks have told me a .308 works for boar and I believe 'em; it just doesn't work for me:

In Germany, the record wild boar for the area I was living in was killed by a .308. It ran 1/4 mile before dying.:eek:

In Texas, I thought I made a great hit at 125 yards on a boar with a scoped Browning BLR .308 using Speer 180 gr Grand Slam or Nosler Partition (I forget now which it was). The blood soaked ground where he stood still had at least a pint sized puddle standing on it when I started to track it. The generous blood trail thinned out to nothing after 200 yards. And I never recovered it.:o:(

That was the last shot I ever made from that rifle. I didn't think it was the rifle's fault though; it was all me and me replaced it with an A-bolt .338 Win Mag.:)

Always try to break bone on a hog on the first shot. if you hit them behind the shoulder your in for a follow up as their lungs lie further forward than most animals.

While I've killed a number of hogs with a .308 including one day before yesterday. I perfer something with a little more bullet weight and mass so I can get to vitals from any angle including a TX head shot.

I've killed several large hogs from behind with the .308 you just gotta break bone to get the party started I aim for the hip joint that'll knock em down long enough to get one into the vitals. I've also hit hogs too far back with some real cannons and not recovered them. I saw a hog take 4 hot 538gr cast bullets from a pumped up .45/70 load right in a row, bleed like a stuck(yeah I know) pig and dry up after about 2 miles never to be found. You gotta hit them in the right place no matter what your shooting.

' Had an older gent out at range a while back who had recently dropped a 400+ pounder near Throckmorton with 3-shot burst to chest with M-16. When I asked what he did with the thing, he said "Just left it lay. The other ones ate it - rather quickly."

So, let's calulate: three 55 grain .223 FMJs = one 165 grain .308 ? :confused: ;) Just in case tho, I'd suggest wearing your tree-climbing boots and carrying a cell phone ... :D

Well, at least I have some confirmations that you can do a boar with a 308.

At what range do you guys typically get them at? I have an M1A and a Mauser'98 in 308.

Twoblink,
I've shot them at long range for fun. But most of my hog kills are inside of 50 yards. many inside of 10 yards.

We had a guy kill one at 514 yards last year with a long range set up on a .338 UM. That was cool to watch!! he called his shot and greased that hog smooth as can be. Not my kind of shooting but real neat see.

That's what I figured. My friends a "firepower" freak, I think his boar takes never leave much meat left on the pig; If it were up to him, he's be shooting it with a 4 gauge or a 375H&H.

Glad to know there's TFL to dispell some myths.

H&H, how much did the boar in the pic weigh?

Twoblink,

I didn't have a chance to offically weigh him but judging from other weighed kills I'd say he was in 300-350lb class.

Twoblink,
I've posted this picture before but for comparison sake. This is the heaviest hog I've ever killed he went right at 400lbs. you can see how big they start to get when they pass the magical 350lb mark. Also notice that bigger body does not mean bigger teeth.

When you hear about 500 and 600Lb+ hogs your truely talking about a huge animal. There was a confirmed 964Lb kill on the ranch next to us last year that animal looked like a Hippo with spots. Generally a Boar will not get that big and this pig had been casterated at sometime in his life either he was an escaped feral or he had his nards removed western style by another hog or a coyote or god only knows. In any case he was a giant but he had almost no teeth to speak of.

Attachments

• bigpig1.jpg
    bigpig1.jpg
    21.1 KB · Views: 834
WOW... That's BIG. The ones I saw above the fireplace at my friend's house, was probably that size.

What was amazing to me, is the pic of that bear that was killed on the other thread. That's just rediculously big.

I would probably be shooting a bolt action, but I have another Boar question. If you hit them and they don't drop, do the charge?? I don't know how fast I'd be able to rack a bolt if I was in a panic to prep for a second shot.

I use a .270 on them here in California. I have shot them up to 200 pounds using 130 gr Core-Lokt Reminton Stock ammo. Bullet placement is everything. I hit one that ran for 100 yds. When I caught up to it, all it's innards were gone except for the heart and part of one lung. My quickest kills are neck/head shots. I don't often get to shoot them standing still, usually they are moving...

Back