BM Dissipator or Shorty?

Pipper

I'm getting a new Bushmaster AR15, and the decision is down to the Shorty or Dissipator model both with removable handle and A3 sights. The only difference appears to be a longer sight radius with the Dissipator, but I like the look of the Shorty better. Anyone have any opinions/preferences regarding these two? Does the Dissipator have appreciably better accuracy? Are there other factors that I need to consider.

I plan on using the gun mainly for target fun, and if civil unrest ever becomes an issue, defense. I don't plan to compete, however. I should also note that I have 2 handguns and a 12ga Mossberg 590 for close range home defense.

Pipper, I own the dissipator and love it. The longer sight radius, I find, is easier when targeting. My brother owns a shorty A3 and when firing it you definatly notice a difference. Sure the shorty style look cool, but I find function over beauty first. My dissipator is extremely accurate. Didn't even have to zero it right out of the box. Both good rifles regardless.

I have a dissipator upper and barrel on my pre-ban Colt lower. A fellow instructor has a BM shorty. He has a 3 mil Aim Point, I use only iron sights (A2). During this mornings informal sight-in and training, I think I out shot him although it was very close. Both guns shoot good. I think the shorty allows you to mount a bunch more different types of gizmo's such as lights and lasers and different types of optical or heads-up display sights if that is what you are interested in.

I found that the additional sight radius is better on the dissipator and it actually does cool the barrel more!!!! My previous upper and barrel was a shorty. I am happy with either.....

Best Regards.....
"Make Ready and Watch Your Six"

To me, the Dissipator just looks wrong some how.
I like my Shorty.

------------------
"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity." - Sigmund Freud
We, the people, are tired of being taxed, penalized, supervised, harassed,
and subjugated by a federal government which exceeds the powers
enumerated in the U.S. Constitution.

George, thats the first things my friends notice about the dissipator. They think it's a full size rifle w/ a hack job on the barrel. I have to explain to them that the gas port is exactly where a shorty is but that it's underneath the handguards.

some of the more GI of the AR listers, dislike both of these configs
the shorty has an 11.5 barrel with a 5 inch brake
the reason for disliking this one?
inadequate muzzel velocity for proper ammo performance

the dissapator has a hidden gas block and a non standard gas tube

the CDI factor is high on these 2 models but i prefer the standard 20 inch without a muzzel brake.
the pinned & welded brake kinda gets in the way of Stoners intentions for front sight block removal

watch out for the AR-15
first you buy one
then you buy another upper
then you buy a lower for the spare upper...

dZ

------------------
"walk softly and carry a big stick, one that goes bang in .308 is fine"

dz,
I have a BM shorty which has a 16" barrel and if you check the BM page, the "shorty" is a 16" with no brake or nothing on it.

I love my shorty and wouldn't trade it for anything, ok... well... a collection of supermodels and ...ahh...couple million dollars might persuade me otherwise, but nothing less.
Of course i don't own a dissapator, so I can't compare it. I do have a 20" oly arms, which i also like, but i like the bm better, cuz it was my first AR

------------------
It ain't mah fault. did I do dat?

For a personal perspective I like the looks of the shorty better. However, when you're using iron sights, the Dissipator will give you the longer sight radius and along with it, greater accuracy in aiming. This is, of course, academic if you plan on mounting a red dot, scope or other form of optical sighting system on the gun.

------------------
Vigilantibus et non dormientibus jura subveniunt

When I was in the market for a Bush, I considered both the Disapator and the Shorty. Glad I got the Shorty. Easier to free-float the barrel. (At least you have more tube options.) I also like the difference in the swing and feel of the Shorty over the Disapator. I rarely use iron sights, so the long sight radius is inconsequential to me. I'd guess that scoped accuracy would be about the same.

The Y2K Shorty was put together for one distributer. Some would say it was a deal that Bush gave them, using parts that nobody else wanted. (11.5" barrel, A-1 upper) I wouldn't want a .223 with a barrel that short. If you want to do barrel work, good luck, because that commie muzzle brake is welded on.

Whatever you get, I suggest an aftermarket trigger; either Jewell, for 2-stage, or JP, for single-stage. I use the JP. Get under 2# pull, with no creep or overtravel.

Get the shorty.

The Dissapator is an abomination. Sort of what you would expect from a long line of cousins.

It's wrong, just plain wrong. I won't have it in the house... :)

------------------
Dan

Si vis pacem para bellum!

Check me out at:
<A HREF="http://www.mindspring.com/~susdan/interest.htm" TARGET=_blank>

www.mindspring.com/~susdan/interest.htm</A>
www.mindspring.com/~susdan/GlocksnGoodies.htm

Hey now, my Dissipator is beautiful. Quit calling it ugly, your going to hurt it's feelings.

When I bought my Bushmaster I went with the Dissipator. I've shot all sorts of AR's and it is just the one that appealed to me the most. Yes it does cool faster. If you use iron sights it is easier to aim. I find that the balance between the two is different. The Dis feels a little more muzzle heavy than a shorty (more weight forward), but I find that it seems to wobble less while shooting quick. My friend has a shorty, he liked it better. To each his own, whatever feels better, go for it.

There are a few disadvantages. There aren't as many float tubes if thats what you want to do. Houge does make one that will fit. There aren't as many kinds of light mounts to choose from either. (update for those of you who helped me hash out my float tube invention idea, we are having a machinist draw up plans now, and will be building a prototype sometime in the next few months) :)

Also I do know that the Dis is accurate. Got to use mine with a benchrest this Saturday. Using Hawks View handloads and the rest, shot a 100 yard 10 shot group about the size of my thumb. So it can shoot. Kind of makes me want to stick a scope on it. But then it wouldn't be as pretty. :)

Has anyone been burned by the exposed portion of the shortys barrel?
I find this happens most often during transition drills.

To the top. I'm going to be making this decision soon, so if anyone has anything else to say about 'em...

And I want to know what "CDI factor" is. :)

I like the them both. I've had both. They both point very well. The 16" shorty is the one I had. I don't like the ral short barrel.
One point to look at. I have big hands and on more than once have burnt them on the shorty. There is just not enough to hold on to.
Once again both are nice and you won't go wrong with either.
One more thing. You might consider building your own. It's alot of fun and you learn alot too.
Scratch

I have a Dissipator and like it a lot. To my eye, it looks better than the shorties - I don't like all that bare barrel hanging out there. And I'm tall, so the full-length handguard lets me hold wherever I'm comfortable.

I plan to buy another AR upper with a free-float handguard, and I may make it Dissipator-style as well (have the tube go over the gasblock on a 16" barrel). I do find my standard Dissipator a little muzzle heavy - wish I could have found one with a fluted barrel. But that's a small gripe. I really like it.

Back