Blunderbuss purchase

KSFreeman

Gentlemen:

I have the urge to purchase a blunderbuss to shoot, not as a wall-hanger. Who makes a good one (production or custom smith)? I thank you for your time.

Kirk

I'm not aware of any commercial flintlock blunderbus produced at the present time.

Any number of custom makers can make one for you. The question is how historically accurate do you want it and here you have to find one who is knowledgable about them who is willing to take on that project. Ron Ehlert comes to mind as does the folks at The Rifle Shoppe (BTW, I just ordered the parts for a grenade launcher from them).

Then again, if you want to spend the time and am reasonably skilled with basic tools (chisels, file, scrapers, spokeshave, planes), you can make one yourself! Vernon Davis (6901 Running Deer PL, Dublin, Ohion 43017, ph: 1-614-761-2568) makes 20" barrels prefitted with tang in 4 or 10 ga, steel for $200 and brass for $290. It's an octagon affair near the tang and later becomes round. BTW, if you can wait for the National Matches (blackpowder that is) at Friendship, IN, you can probably get the barrels cheaper.

Gary, thanks much. I will contact the people you suggest.

They just had the Nationals here. No, wait, that was the National Drags in Clermont.

Grenade launcher in Kalifornia?!? And you are "allowed" to have this how? I'm telling Ms. Boxer on you! "Oh, the children."

Boxershorts & Fineswine can feast upon feces and expire (gee, that's a nice way to put it :). The grenade launcher I envision is circa 1700s and looks like a Brown Bess with a very stubby barrel that'll make your Blunderbus look like a rifle. Per The Rifle Shoppe it's suppose to be pretty good at launching tennis balls. (Clipped British accent), "I say, tennis anyone?"

Have your ordered parts from the Rifle Shoppe before? I have heard that there is quite a back order on some of there parts. I was thinking of ordering the parts for the doubl barrel flintlock shotguns, but I'm wondering on the time it will take to get them.

Back