Bluing or Browning?

MountainMan83

Hi all!
On my sporterized Springfield 1903 the steel appears to have a beautiful hot tank blue at a glance (it does not retain its original finish mind you, this was a custom rifle built from individual parts). Although when I ran my light over it it appeared very brown, the receiver more than the barrel. The receiver is visibly brown when observed in any light, but the barrel appears black until you hold a light up to it. I guess my main question is...were the parts of this rifle hot tank blued and contained nickel making them brownish or just straight up browned?
I included photos of the receiver and barrel!

Attachments

• 504_B19_EA-_C3_AC-4_A78-_A7_E0-6886_C620_A89_C.png
    504_B19_EA-_C3_AC-4_A78-_A7_E0-6886_C620_A89_C.png
    145.1 KB · Views: 49
  • 97_B7_A85_A-8_F6_B-46_D6-_B6_D2-_CC0_E7_CB07_C4_F.jpg
    97_B7_A85_A-8_F6_B-46_D6-_B6_D2-_CC0_E7_CB07_C4_F.jpg
    63 KB · Views: 45
  • 8_A972_D61-_D3_BF-4_D4_D-9_C8_F-_EB244_E25760_A.jpg
    8_A972_D61-_D3_BF-4_D4_D-9_C8_F-_EB244_E25760_A.jpg
    42.1 KB · Views: 40
I bet if you look at it in really good natural light you’ll see the metal is “purplish”. It’s not uncommon and comes about for different reasons. The chemical mix can be a little off or worn out, the alloy doesn’t “like” the particular bluing mix, the heat of the solution was too hot. Sometimes it takes years for the change to become apparent. It also happens with factory bluing; I had an early Remington 700 with a very purple bolt shroud. Some years ago Ruger had problems with some of their guns turning purple over time.

It happens. I wouldn’t worry about it.

Yep. That baby's purple! It happens with very hard metals, metals containing nickel, cast metal, etc. It's actually very common to see blued guns turning purplish.

The purple receive is because of the hard metal. When doing hot blue I would do the process as normal but when the salts reached full temiture I would pull the part out of the salts and quince them in the cold water bath then replace it in the salt bath. This is called "shocking" the part. A couple of cycles like that and I would have blue/black finish. And no this doesn't harm the heat treat of the steel as the salts and parts never exceed 300 degrees. So to your concerns the bluing was a hot blue by a fellow that didn't know the tricks of the trade. He may of not left the parts in the boil out long enough as well to kill the salts on the barrel giving the slight brown there. Still not a problem at this point other then appeance. Nice sporter by the way.

"...it appeared very brown..." That's 'patina'. Nothing to do with browning. Means the bluing is old.
The finish on a sporterised milsurp may or may not be the original finish. Given the amount of polishing that was done on your's, I'd guess that finish was done by whoever sported it.

I believe it's the nickel in the steel causing a slight purpling effect. I have seen it before. Sometimes you can experiment with the heat and duration of the bath to avoid the purple color. Other times, not so much.

Ruger No. 1 rifles were described to us in school as very difficult to blue in a standard gunsmith shop, being very prone to purple bluing.

We've had some very in-depth discussions about Rugers going purple/plum in the past. Some metallurgists stepped in to theorize that it's silicon in the metal causing it -- either put there as part of Ruger's desired alloy, or as a byproduct of investment casting. The fact that they generally only go 'plum' after many years was further proof, in their opinion.
I, personally, don't know. But I'm going to believe the metallurgists, at least on the Ruger 'plum'. (I like, it, by the way. Most of my Rugers are now 'plums'.)

Other manufacturers and gunsmith bluing... Who knows...

Back