Blued Pistols...extra care required???

WilDJ

I have a similar thread in the Handguns-Semiauto but it seems like it will fit more here. Anyway, I just bought a Kimber Classic Gold Match in .45 ACP. It is the first pistol I ever owned in a blued finish and according to the sales rep it will require extra care especially if used as a CCW.
I need advices from all blued pistol owners out there please. Thank you.

You do need to do a bit more. Wipe the gun off after handling it. Keep the outer surface protected with some type of corrosion preventing film (BreakFree and Tetra both work well - so does Johnson's Paste Wax, the wood type, that doesn't have any abrasives in it). SS can rust as well, but it is a lot more resistant than bluing. Some folks carry blued guns without a problem, others have just enough difference in their chemical makeup that they can eat SS if they don't protect it. (My wife loves sterling silver jewelry, the only time I ever tried to wear a silver ring it was completely black in about an hour and a half, and my skin wasn't in much better shape!)

Get a good holster that keeps the gun away from your skin and at the end of the day, remove the pistol from the holster and give it a quick rub down. I have carried blued guns for years using this method and the only problem I have had is from holster wear marks on the bluing. If you get a quality lined holster and keep it clean you will have few problems. John K

Back