Blue shadow in scope

drmajor

I have Nikon Prostaff 3-9x50 scope.
Looking at a feeder 100 yds and noticed the aluminum legs (silver) have a blue shadow on the right side and red shadow on the left side.

In general, not super sharp and I suppose dues to the shadow/ghost.??
Suggestions?

Is there an adjustable eyepiece/focus?

Aim it at the sky, adjust the focus/eyepiece until the crosshairs are good and crisp. Then look at your target again. If that doesn't fix the problem, then you could have bad coatings on the lenses or an internal lens issue and would likely require a trip back to Nikon.

It sounds like you have a problem called "Chromatic aberration". This is not present that I can see in my Nikon scopes so I assume something is defective in yours.

What is it?
Imagine a prism with white light shining through it as the light exits it forms a rainbow (think of the "Dark Side of the Moon" Album cover). Now put a second prism flipped 180 degrees behind it so the 2 are back to back & the rainbows overlap. This is the worlds worst lens because its not curved but it is bending & splitting white light into its component colors.:eek:

If the rainbows aren't exactly aligned the red/blue will "slide" in relation to each other & give a shaded color wedge such as you're seeing. You should see the same effect with anything white on a dark background.

blue shadow

Thanks...

I have written Nikon.

How is their service?

Problem- If I send it in, I have no scope- right at the start of deer season.

Back