Blue or Stainless

I have one stainless handgun, all of my other firearms, in order of majority, are blued, parkerized, Ionbond DLC, or hard chrome.

One stainless, a S&W 6906, kind of my knockabout gun, I like the looks of blued gun, stainless seems to hold it's resale value getter I think, not as much whining about holster wear.

I prefer stainless when there's an option for three reasons listed in descending order of important from my perspective.

1. Corrosion resistance.
2. The ability to easily repair scratches or dings or to do minor modifications without having to refinish the firearm.
3. General preference for the appearance of stainless firearms.

I buy firearms with other finishes when there's no stainless option or when the finish is at least as corrosion resistant as a stainless finish would be.

I am definitely a stainless kind of guy. While I can absolutely appreciate fine bluing, stainless is typically what I choose. Without opening the safe, I will guess that somewhere between 2/3 and 3/4 of my handguns are stainless.

My first EVER handgun was blued (S&W Model 17-6) and my second ever was a 6-inch 686, stainless.

I have more blued guns, than stainless. But I have always preferred stainless for my every day carry guns. My EDC gun for about the last 15+ years has been a S&W M6906, and before that - in simpler times, years ago - it was S&W M60. For me, it just seems that stainless guns require less frequent upkeep and are more resistant to the problems inherent in daily exposure to the elements. But I like the look of blued guns better, and most of my range/target guns - and the couple old, classic guns that I intend to hand down to my kids - are blued.

All of mine are blued with 1 stainless slide. Blued just blends in better and are what I grew up with in the 50s and 60s.

JohnKSa was in my head when he wrote this,

I prefer stainless when there's an option for three reasons listed in descending order of important from my perspective.

1. Corrosion resistance.
2. The ability to easily repair scratches or dings or to do minor modifications without having to refinish the firearm.
3. General preference for the appearance of stainless firearms.

I buy firearms with other finishes when there's no stainless option or when the finish is at least as corrosion resistant as a stainless finish would be.

my lever is stainless, and as beautiful as it is, I really hate the fact that I feel like I always have to handle it with kid gloves. I am so paranoid about scratching that thing, my other black rifle, don't worry very much, or at all. I would love a big ol' GP in stainless or an Alaskan, but it would be another firearm I would treat like a lambo

I have a variety of blue, stainless, nickel and various ceracoat colors with an appreciation for each and the role they play in my shooting scenarios.

I like both blue and stainless. The determining factor on which finish I like better is how well the finish is done. I'm a sucker for a real high-polish blue - Python royal blue or custom.

There are also some very nice stainless finishes as well. My preference in stainless is polished then finely brushed larger areas.

I like and own blued and stainless guns, mainly because the particular guns are available finished one way or the other.

But if I could have just one type of finish on all my guns it would be the Satin Nickle finish that I have on my Browning Hi Power.

The majority of mine are stainless. I just prefer the looks of a stainless gun to a blued on in most cases.

Stainless is better for corrosion resistance, but is more likely to be noticed if your shirt accidentally rides up. Best way to go is what Kahr did and blacken the stainless steel slide.

Stainless is pretty to look at though. I just got a Sig P210 with the Silver which is a Nickel PVD coating over stainless. :D:D:D

Life is too short to carry an ugly gun. Pretty guns are man-jewelry; just like fine Swiss watches. FWIW, I conceal my watch under my shirt cuff. Like my watches my guns are primarily for my enjoyment. My gun doesn't need to be "seen" by others for me to enjoy it.

Everyone should have at least one gun they would be proud to be seen with; one they can admire the craft that went into building it even if it is never seen by anyone other than you!

Back