Blow Forward locking systems.

Badger Arms

I was wondering if there ever was a design where the barrel on a repeating firearm moved forward and then rearward to work the action? I do know that the Semmerling (sp) pistol has a manually operated forward action. I also read an article about a shotgun -- South African design? -- that utilized a slide action in this manner. My question is if any have been patented, prototyped, or produced that were semi-automatic in nature. It seems to solve many compactness concerns.

A friend told me about a guy he knew (yes, third-hand info) who designed and built a blow-forward pistol. Turned out it didn't want to go into battery.

When a blowback doesn't go into battery, you smack the back of the slide. Well, with a blow-forward, you smack the front... that is, the muzzle.

Rule 2 comes to mind here.

Boy genius got a slamfire as his pistol went into battery. He's missing some previously-installed components from his hand now.

So, unless you can figure out a way to get a blow-forward design to go into battery 100% of the time, I'd say give it a miss.

The 1894 Mannlicher, the Hino-Komuro and the 1908 Schwarzlose are all blow-forward designs. Doesn't appear that they solved any concerns at all.

The Schwartzlose seems to have been an attempt to circumvent various blowback patents. In practice, there is no advantage to such a design and many disadvantages. One of the problems is how to make the magazine work when the barrel scoops up the round from the front. The blow-forward designers solved the problem, but 'twarn't easy!

Jim

Back