Blind is up.......getting close now boys

Well, I took time out of the Labor day weekend to get the "Ole' Backyard Blind" back up and ready. The neighbor helped and our basic premise was, if it's a bit wobbly add more wood. I was toying with a complete re-do of the platform but opted for one more season. In the picture you can see the lower supports attached at a 45 degree angle. 4 of those stopped the wobble. The blind is on my south fence and the real hunting view is the other side of the fence peeking over the hedge row.

I think it has a certain "Redneck Quality" the deer are sure to love.

What do you guys think and please throw some pics of you set up as well.

Attachments

• img017.jpg
    img017.jpg
    274.9 KB · Views: 161
Looks pretty good to me. So long as its safe to climb and safe to sit in is the main thing. I've sat in a whole lot worse stands. {No doubt about that.} Besides your local deer probably are use to your old squeaker by now.

http://thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?p=5267934#post5267934

(top of the page are pix of my stand and a pix of its view when sitting in it. {over looking a wild field.} Nothings changed still the same condition. I have 3 of these built so far. But this one is my personal stand)

425d1376187897-2013-hunting-season-img_20130408_101404.jpg

I like buddy stands.

Sure shot

My stand is probably a cross between your stand and the fella that had the natural ground blind with the blue chair. Also, take a look at my post in your thread. I posted some picks after a tree clipped my pop up. Wow, I need to get that spot ready too!!!!

BJE80

I'm not sure that platform will support the weight of that hub blind. That's iffy at best.:D

"284":
My stand is probably a cross between your stand and the fella that had the natural ground blind with the blue chair. Also, take a look at my post in your thread. I posted some picks after a tree clipped my pop up. Wow, I need to get that spot ready too!!!!

Yup!! I just took a look at that past thread you mentioned and seen the damage to your pop up. Tough when Mother Nature gets after a pop-up ain't it?_:( Good thing you weren't sitting in it at the time._:eek:
12th thread down from the top
http://thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=501745&page=2

For those who have never seen Jo6pk's blind that sits between 284s and S/S McGs blinds. {well kind'a. All of us are in different States but 284s and S/S States borders touch Jo's State. MI >Wis<MN }
10-tenth thread down from the top.
http://thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=501745&page=2

In many areas, if you pursue the quarry, you chase them and move them onto the adjacent property where our neighbor is waiting in their blind.

Those should all work.

Mine is always ready to go:
attachment.php

That little clump of pines at the end of the cliffs rolls over the top of the ridge, and into a barren saddle that runs to another deep, dark hollow. Pick a spot with a view of that saddle, wait patiently, and you're guaranteed to fill your Elk or Deer tag.

I've never been very patient while hunting, though.... :rolleyes:

Attachments

• IMG_2079_720.jpg
    IMG_2079_720.jpg
    233.1 KB · Views: 222
Whatever happened to going AFTER the quarry........................

After all, it IS called HUNTING, not waiting

Indeed! Shooting a deer from a blind may not be "wrong" but it sure doesn't seem like hunting. Harvesting is more like it.

And perhaps you don't believe in firearms as they are much easier to use than a couple of sticks, flint and some sinew?? :confused: I'd bet if you hunted in the areas and conditions where many others did you might think about your firm opinions. Maybe so, maybe not. One thing I can promise you is that arguing about any LEGAL method of hunting, between hunters, is what all anti hunters want.

BTW, I love the stand. I might not want to have the same thing myself, but I congratulate your work, effort and idea 100% !! :D

Not arguing whether it is legal or not or whether it should be legal or not; but spending all kinds of money on leases, stands, food plots, salt licks, trail cameras, feeders, etc. seems to make it more like "deer waiting" than "deer hunting". I lived and hunted out West where most of the above mentioned activities would get you arrested as illegal baiting. If your goal is just to shoot some deer, then have at it; but if your goal is to fully appreciate the hunting aspect, the battle of wits and skills, then IMO, you have to go after them critters, not bait them into coming to you.

JMO, YMMV

When I was younger I enjoyed the still hunt. I hunt a limited area and have learned that if I tromp all over my few hundred acres that the deer go somewhere else. I still occasionally get on the ground towards the end of the season to get my doe.
I have found over the years that I see more deer throughout the season if I just relax in my blind. A soft chair, something to drink & snack on, and a good book in the deer stand is my favorite way to spend my spare time.

Back