Bladetech IDPA or Revolution?

vc1911

Inactive
I'm looking for a new owb for g23. I don't really care if it kydex or plastic (no leather for this one), was checking out the combo kits online and I'm basically down to these 2 bladetech idpa or revolution.

Opinions? Experience? Better options in the price range? The whole internet says "buy mine", I was hoping for some thoughts from regular shooters.

thanks
v

The IDPA package is just their regular OWB with a double mag pouch. It will work ok, but so will the Revolution, it's a low cost but good holster. Single mag pouches are better than doubles because they are easier to position on you belt, especially behind the hip. Their best holster is the Black Ice, along with their Signature single mag pouches. I still have the very first OWB solid laminate holster they made back in the beginning of time, at least 20 years old, still good as new. Don't forget to get a good belt also, like the Wilderness Tactical Original Instructors belt in 5 stitch, and if you have any money left, get some electric ears, Peltor Tac 6s. Good gear last forever, so buy once. I would also ditch the OEM Glock sights and get Dawson Precision, Taran Tacticals or Heinies. Check with the match director before you show up, some clubs require an orientation class before they let you shoot. From the 2015 USPSA Nationals equipment survey, Limited Division at 18% BladeTech, Limited 10 at 30%, Production at 60%, and in Single Stack (1911's only) at 54%. Other good holsters are the Safariland 560 and the Comp-Tac International. Also the HellWeg KST, kinda pricey, but those are great also. All IDPA legal. You don't want any holster with retention for competition, and I would specifically stay away from the Serpa for newbies.

The original BladeTech straight drop belt loop holster made from solid laminate.

image37308.jpg

image37309.jpg

Last edited:
A new shooter, first time on the range, IDPA? Scary. I like to see the crap guns/holsters/belts, etc., morth into better and better gear, and skill over a few months.

The majority of shooters all help.

Well, everyone started somewhere, and some of us started a long, long time ago, before IDPA, before USPSA, before IPSC, before plastic frames and Kydex, and long before Glocks, long before double stacks. I remember the first S&W 59 I had, wow, 14 + 1 rounds of 9mm, beat the heck outta 7 rounds of .45acp in a single stack.

Anyway, at least the OP is starting with a Glock, and getting advice on gear. It's the guys that show up with a Ruger P89, in a Uncle Mike's gun bag holster on a Walmart belt, with only 2 mags in a shotgun pouch....

So the G23 is not the best Glock for competition, but that's just an excuse to get a G34, or if you hand load to minor, a G35. Remember, it's not squeeze and breathe, it's grip it and rip it.

I also had a H&K VP70 because it was 18 + 1 rounds, but blew it up trying to get to a 175 power floor. Man that thing was UGLY.... Looks like a modern HiPoint

S&W 59, not too bad, at least it had the US mag release and a manageable trigger and the weird upside down thumb safety

012.jpg_thumbnail0.jpg

Ugly

HK_VP70Z_1890.jpg

more ugly

MKS_00916.jpg

Last edited:
Brit I am no new shooter and couldn't guess my first time on the range! lol Over 30 years ago. 3-gun/EDC are my intentions for this rig. While I haven't competed much, my nearest range just put together a mostly steel 3gun course. I'm not loaded at the moment, looking for something that can pull double duty. I like the look of the bladetechs, I like the the Vickers/Raven Concealment rig too but $250 is a bit steep for me. I'm indeed NOT an operator but am well beyond Uncle Mikes cordura gear haha...

9x45 that HK is really ugly but I bet she still shoots! and thank you for your input.

Then the BladeTech Revolution will work just fine. Like I said it's a good low cost holster that works well. I keep 2 of them in the bag for students. For carry, an IWB is far better, and that works for IDPA also. Look at the BladeTech Phantom and Nano.

Back