Blackpowder seriel #?

hknut

I am lookin at buying a TC Firehawk. My question is about registration. This gun has a seriel # on it. I thought black powder guns were not numbered, thus allowing you to buy thru the mail from stores like Cabalea's. Am I missing a change in the law? I don't want to break any laws here. What do I have to do?

Most things you can buy have serial numbers these days. I don't think that has any bearing on whether it needs to be registered or not (I'm not familiar with your state laws).

I've bought BP guns through the mail from Cabela's, and everything I bought had serial numbers. The Civil War Colt and Remington revolvers had serial numbers. Pretty much anything factory-made, except some really cheap suicide specials, has had serial numbers for a LONG time, going back to the 19th Century.

Even if a black powder gun is not a firearm under Federal law, it still makes sense to give it a serial number for all the other reasons. Something to write down in your "valuables" book as a precaution in case of theft. Something to tell you whether a product recall or manufacturing problem applies to a gun you have or are considering. That kind of stuff.

Also, unless something has changed since I moved to Oregon last year, there is no registartion of any guns in Washington state.

I just didn't want to buy it thru the mail and have some one nail me at the Post Office with a firearm.

Serial Numbers on BP Guns

Even though the Feds don't consider a muzzle loader a firearm, some states do. And in places like Illinois, each gun built has a number that the maker applies for the records. State by state varies. Personally, I hate to stamp my guns as I think it takes away the "oldness" look. But again, that number could help get a lost gun back too.

New Here, I post on Gunboards as Xwingnut

Depending on the ignition system some muzzle loaders are considered Fire Arms.

Department Of The Treasury
Bureau Of Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms
NOTICE: INDUSTRY CIRCULAR
Number: 98-2 Date: 11-06-97
ATF has determined muzzle loading weapons with "in-line" firing mechanisms
designed or redesigned to use modern conventional firearm primers do not meet
the definition of antique firearms and are subject to regulation as a firearm.

Back