• Anything ‘published’ on the web is viewed as intellectual property and, regardless of whether it displays a copyright symbol or not, is therefore copyrighted by the originator. The only exception to this is if there is a “free and unrestricted reuse” statement associated with the work.

In order to protect our members and TFL from possible litigation, all members must abide by the following new rules:

1. Copying and pasting entire articles from another site to TFL is strictly prohibited. The same applies to articles from print or other media, and to posting photographs taken of copyrighted pages or other media.

2. Copyright law provides for “fair use” of portions of a copyrighted work. You can copy no more than a SINGLE paragraph from the article to your post (3 or 4 sentences at most).

3. You must provide a link to the article along with the name of website. For example: ww.xxx.yyy/zzz (The Lower Thumbsuck Daily News).

4. You must provide, in your own words, a brief summary of the article AND your reasons for believing it will be of interest to TFL members. Failure to do so may result in the thread being closed or your post being deleted as a “cut and paste drive by.”

5. Photographs and other images are also copyrighted. "Hotlinking" of images (so that it appears in your message) from other sites is also prohibited unless you own rights to the image. If you wish to share an image, provide a clickable link to it.

Posts that do not follow these new guidelines will be altered or deleted by staff. Members who continue to violate this policy may lose their posting privileges at TFL.

Thank you for your cooperation and your participation in TFL, the leading online forum for firearms enthusiasts.

Blackpowder section

How about a blackpowder section?

------------------
Ben Lee
Student, Senior
Computer Science
Mississippi State University
Heed the man that owns only one rifle,
he likely knows how to use it.
- Anonymous

As opposed to the CAS forum? ;)

I usually post bp questions in the appropriate areas, like if I have a question about my 1860 Army, I'll ask in Handguns; about my .50 Carbine, I'll ask in Art of the Rifle.

Yes, but it usually gets buried by questions about "Why can't my Glock shoot 1/2" @ 25 yards?" or "Is a .338 Win Mag big enough for deer?". I figured a dedicated BP section would be great and it would be easy for people to find information on BP guns. Since Frontiersman class in SASS is getting big, I figure more BP questions will turn up. Not to mention with The Patriot out now, flintlock question will be coming soon.

I like blackpowder discussions also. But as Coin said they do seem to fit well in the Cowboy forum. There are a lot more folks that visit there than it would appear. Because of it's low volume blackpowder questions stay on top longer and usually draw a quite a bit of attention.
BTW, I'll get to your 1851 Navy/Cabelas question soon in the HG & PC section. Promise. :)

------------------
Gunslinger

Well, that's my point. It doesn't fit their altogether. What about a question about a flintlock modeled after one in the French and Indian war? Or perhaps how to develop loads for a smoothbore? Neither of those belong in a CAS forum.

Hmmm... Black powder guns generally come in one of 3 types. Pistol, Rifle, or Shotgun.
Lets see - we got a pistol forum...
And, Yes - ones for rifles and shotguns too.
We're set!

AAAAAARRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!

Forget it. I ain't worth it. I just hate wading through the Glock vs 1911, .270 vs .30-06 posts to find one post about blackpowder shooting. They just get buried by those posts. I just figured it would make it easier on the pistol, shotgun and rifle moderators. Not to mention the people that just want to discuss BP shooting. Oh well.

[This message has been edited by mississippi_rifleman (edited August 07, 2000).]

Rifleman I can understand your consternation regarding a blackpowder post, which receives little response and therefore sinks fast in the various forums.
I also agree with your point that a pre-cow person era gun....perhaps a flintlock as an example...does not necessarily fall into the "cowboy era" of approximately post-1870. However I think you will discover that if posted in the Cowboy forum here you will get the desired results. Even though technically some blackpowder guns are not "cowboy" most cowboy shooters also share an interest in anything blackpowder. I know I do and most of the regulars here that post in the Cowboy forum do to. The fact is there is usually so little activity in the Cowboy forum that we cowboy types here are so starved for fellow cowboy talk that we will discuss 'bout anything there. ;)

------------------
Gunslinger

Gunslinger,

With the SASS Wire out there, I can understand the low activity. It has been around for a long time. Maybe we should pop in there an advertise TFL?

Back